ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration health surcharge

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ambikaagw
Newly Registered

Immigration health surcharge

Post by ambikaagw » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Do I need to pay surcharge if my spouse is British

WR1

Re: Immigration health surcharge

Post by WR1 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Yes.

It doesn't matter if your spouse is British. The health surcharge is still payable by the applicant as you are not settled yet.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

arrow57
Newly Registered

Post by arrow57 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:22 pm

I think this health surcharge does not apply to spouse visa of a british citizen

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm

arrow57 wrote:I think this health surcharge does not apply to spouse visa of a british citizen
It does apply
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

It certainly does.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

arrow57
Newly Registered

Post by arrow57 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:59 am

If thats correct you could have people come from france poland spain etc not pay yet family members of british citizens who have paid visa fees asked to pay more

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 am

arrow57 wrote:If thats correct
As you have been told, it is correct and the spouse of a UK citizen does now have to pay this small surcharge as their contribution towards their healthcare from the UK. If the spouse is an Australian or New Zealand citizen they won't pay because their countries have health agreements with the UK.

Those visiting the UK will be billed at 150% of the cost to the NHS if they don't have insurance.
arrow57 wrote:you could have people come from france poland spain etc not pay yet family members of british citizens who have paid visa fees asked to pay more
This is the health agreement between EEA countires. The new NHS checks will mean the UK sticks to this.

If those EEA citizens are in work in the UK as a worker or self employed AND earn enough each week to pay NICs, then they are a worker or self employed Qualifed Person in the UK and the UK will pay for their healthcare. The same with their countries when Brits work there.

Their free NHS as a jobseeker is limited to just 3 months now as that is all the JSA money and healthcare the UK will give them (and then only once they have been in the UK for the previous 3 months) as they then lose their right to reside in the UK as a jobseeker qualified person and all benefits stop too.

If they don't work in the UK then they will not be offered this small health surcharge to get their healthcare paid for by the UK. They will need to have full sickness insurance to pay all their NHS bills because the UK won't pay for them. Or they can use their own countires EHIC for use of the NHS and then their own county will be billed for all their treatment and medication.