ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP SCHEME WILL BE CLOSED IS -THAT TRUE?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chanduck
Newly Registered

HSMP SCHEME WILL BE CLOSED IS -THAT TRUE?

Post by chanduck » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:29 pm

Dear all,
Am new to this group and am not here to painc you all but one of my mate said HSMP will be closed in near future as they have recived enough applciations and further extention application need to switch WP It seems , My frend recived unreliable message .so , just wondering has any body any clue.

thanks
Chand

astrick
Newly Registered

Post by astrick » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm

hello :D

this is the first time i am hearing some thing like this.:?:
any way this is a serious question. you shouldn't be taking your mates word for granted, rather you need to speak to the right people. :lol:

If i were you I will call HSMP on+441142074074 and make it clear and once i know the facts I will let all know through this forum. :wink:

Cheers

Astrick

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: HSMP SCHEME WILL BE CLOSED IS -THAT TRUE?

Post by pantaiema » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:47 pm

What they probablymean is that the change from HSMP to Tier System. It is on the agenda that The new tier system willbe introduced next year to replace the current HSMP system. Tier 1 will replace the current HSMP system
chanduck wrote:Dear all,
Am new to this group and am not here to painc you all but one of my mate said HSMP will be closed in near future as they have recived enough applciations and further extention application need to switch WP It seems , My frend recived unreliable message .so , just wondering has any body any clue.

thanks
Chand
Pantaiema

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Technicaly yes HSMP will be closed as well as Work Permit, it will be replaced with Tier system some time next year.
Magsi

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:47 pm

magsi23 wrote:Technicaly yes HSMP will be closed as well as Work Permit, it will be replaced with Tier system some time next year.
Get your applications in by the end of the year to avoid the growing pains of the new system. You don't want to face the brunt of that nonsense

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 pm

I guess this is one of those 'public pleasing tactic' of selling the old wine in a new bottle.

I guess the process and procedure will more or less remain the same.

I went through the initial draft and found out that it is nothing but re-branding the entire immigration process to the new tier system. Nothing more nothing less

However that was just the initial draft and that the final version is awaited. Hopefully this should be very close to the initial draft

Cheers
PG

ikon1400

Post by ikon1400 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:49 am

@SYH

you made a valid point, its better to get the applications done within this year since the tier is definitely gona be time consuming & more process oriented which might have more streamlining when compared to the current process

@MyHSMPApplication

Definitely it wont be simple or same as you think, coz when its tier everyone who earn a required salary cannot apply & only candidates should be falling in any expertise out of the tier.

Say the australian tier does not take "software testers", by this most of the indian software engineers who work as testers cannot get in to the system which is a huge set back. hence lota brain storming willl go for applicants to understand the tier & apply.

Lets wait & hope for the best system.

Cheers
ikon

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:02 pm

MyHSMPApplication

The new Tier System is quite different with HSMP system. So "it is not selling the old wine in a new bottle"
Hope U are aware about this.
You could see discussion on this on the following thread.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 9&start=20

MyHSMPApplication wrote:I guess this is one of those 'public pleasing tactic' of selling the old wine in a new bottle.

I guess the process and procedure will more or less remain the same.

I went through the initial draft and found out that it is nothing but re-branding the entire immigration process to the new tier system. Nothing more nothing less

However that was just the initial draft and that the final version is awaited. Hopefully this should be very close to the initial draft

Cheers
PG
Pantaiema

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi pantaiema

I was referring to the (proposed) points system of the new Tier 1 immigration system.

I am pretty sure you might have checked this link

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/a ... ndpap1.pdf
just in case you haven't page no 22 and 23 describe in detail the point based immigration for tier 1 immigrants...

This is indeed the same as the current HSMP points based system.

This made me believe that this could be the same but with an enitrely different name.

Do you have link to any latest document from the HO with regard to the new tier based immigration system which explains this in detail?

Cheers
PG

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 pm

The document that U refer to is already out of date.
In the new system tier 1 will be: Scienctists/doctor's & Enterpreneurs

MyHSMPApplication wrote:Hi pantaiema

I was referring to the (proposed) points system of the new Tier 1 immigration system.

I am pretty sure you might have checked this link

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/a ... ndpap1.pdf
just in case you haven't page no 22 and 23 describe in detail the point based immigration for tier 1 immigrants...

This is indeed the same as the current HSMP points based system.

This made me believe that this could be the same but with an enitrely different name.

Do you have link to any latest document from the HO with regard to the new tier based immigration system which explains this in detail?

Cheers
PG
Pantaiema

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:19 pm

As a point of clarification, the various documents published have referred to tier 1 as comprising the highly skilled, a group, it is suggested, that includes, but is not limited to, scientists and entrepreneurs.
Key elements of the system include:consolidating more than 80 existing work and study routes into five tiers:
tier 1 - highly skilled, e.g. scientists or entrepreneurs;
tier 2 - skilled workers with a job offer, e.g. nurses, teachers, engineers;
tier 3 - low skilled workers filling specific temporary labour shortages, e.g. construction workers for a particular project
tier 4 - students; and
tier 5 - youth mobility and temporary workers, e.g. working holiday makers or musicians coming to play a concert.
(as indicated in March 2006 and reiterated in November 2006: http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/press-re ... n-advisory)

cagrawal

Summarize please

Post by cagrawal » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi,

Can the senior guys please summarize this discussion and give a clear answer?
Will the clocks towards P be reset for those already on HSMP/WP?

Kind Regards,
Chandan

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:52 am

Hi,

Will IT professionals be considered under Tier 1?

I'm gonna apply by end of this month (or start of next month), if IT professionals will not be included then what about extensions of existing HSMPs?

It's really worrying. If there is a situation like this then we can rethink our decision to go for HSMP.

I've got headache.. Need to decide - It's question of our future - question of our life. Will it be a better option to go for Australia?
if situation is good then UK is a better option but in such circumstances..

Please advise.

Thanks,
JD

gordon

Post by gordon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:54 am

The plan appears to be that the immigration authority will integrate a number of routes into the UK into five tiers, although it should be noted that not all tiers will provide paths to settlement.
tier 3 - low skilled workers filling specific temporary labour shortages, e.g. construction workers for a particular project
tier 4 - students; and
tier 5 - youth mobility and temporary workers, e.g. working holiday makers or musicians coming to play a concert.
The HSMP scheme as we know it, has served as something of a pilot scheme for a broader points-based migration scheme, of which the five-tier system has now been proposed. So it has been proposed that the HSMP path to entry and settlement in the UK will not be eliminated, but rather will constitute tier 1. And while the March 2006 paper may well be considered dated, there is no evidence that the PBS to be implemented will differ materially from what was proposed then.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... sed_system (March 2006)
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... asedsystem (April 2007)

This position has been further confirmed in the meeting of the Migration Impacts Forum (June 2007) and in the Fabian Society policy position paper by Byrne and Kelly (June 2007). The Fabian Society paper suggests some further changes, but no elimination of what would become tier 1.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... andagendas
http://fabians.org.uk/fsblob/176.pdf

For settlement clocks, those who switch from HSMP to WP will have their clocks reset if their most recent period of leave is on WP. Those who switch from WP to HSMP will not have their settlement clocks reset, since those whose most recent period of leave is HSMP may amalgamate HSMP leave with WP leave or innovator leave in order to meet the five-years residence threshold. Discussions on the PBS have not suggested any material changes to existing policy on this point, although as noted in the Fabian Society paper, there is the possibility of potentially advantageous policy changes for those in tier 1. Otherwise, existing policy:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... ules/part5

So if you qualify for HSMP (whatever your occupation) and continue to meet the points threshold, then you should be fine. While it's important to continue to monitor the PBS as it is rolled out, beginning next year, there's no reason for people to get jittery at this point.

AG

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks for your comemnts

cagrawal

Thanks

Post by cagrawal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the clarifications.

regards,
Chandan
gordon wrote:The plan appears to be that the immigration authority will integrate a number of routes into the UK into five tiers, although it should be noted that not all tiers will provide paths to settlement.
tier 4 - students; and
The HSMP scheme as we know it, has served as something of a pilot scheme for a broader points-based migration scheme, of which the five-tier system has now been proposed. So it has been proposed that the HSMP path to entry and settlement in the UK will not be eliminated, but rather will constitute tier 1. And while the March 2006 paper may well be considered dated, there is no evidence that the PBS to be implemented will differ materially from what was proposed then.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... sed_system (March 2006)
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... asedsystem (April 2007)

This position has been further confirmed in the meeting of the Migration Impacts Forum (June 2007) and in the Fabian Society policy position paper by Byrne and Kelly (June 2007). The Fabian Society paper suggests some further changes, but no elimination of what would become tier 1.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... andagendas
http://fabians.org.uk/fsblob/176.pdf

For settlement clocks, those who switch from HSMP to WP will have their clocks reset if their most recent period of leave is on WP. Those who switch from WP to HSMP will not have their settlement clocks reset, since those whose most recent period of leave is HSMP may amalgamate HSMP leave with WP leave or innovator leave in order to meet the five-years residence threshold. Discussions on the PBS have not suggested any material changes to existing policy on this point, although as noted in the Fabian Society paper, there is the possibility of potentially advantageous policy changes for those in tier 1. Otherwise, existing policy:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... ules/part5

So if you qualify for HSMP (whatever your occupation) and continue to meet the points threshold, then you should be fine. While it's important to continue to monitor the PBS as it is rolled out, beginning next year, there's no reason for people to get jittery at this point.

AG

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:28 pm

I almost never disagree with Gordon, however this time I think he is wrong.

Next year the HO will likely be very gressive with the new tier system. Most HSMP people will not qualify for tier one and will be forced to deal with a new mandate that requires EU citizens to be prioritized over anyone else. In fact, I beleive this prioritizing of EU workers to be the main reason for the new tier system.

I am only adding my opinion to help those on HSMP prepare for the new rules. If you have not sold your house in your home country for example, I would wait to hear what happens next year before you do.

LondonBlonde

cagrawal

Post by cagrawal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Hi LondonBlonde,

What is the basis behind your thinking?

Regards,
Chandan

cagrawal

Post by cagrawal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi,

Further to my previous comment, pls see this link.

http://www.tier12345.co.uk/tier1.html

Regards,
Chandan

willnotbackHSMP

Post by willnotbackHSMP » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:42 pm

gordon wrote:As a point of clarification, the various documents published have referred to tier 1 as comprising the highly skilled, a group, it is suggested, that includes, but is not limited to, scientists and entrepreneurs.
Key elements of the system include:consolidating more than 80 existing work and study routes into five tiers:
Then what will be happend to existing HSMP visa holders or how they will be integrated to proposed Tier system who is not scientist or entrepreneurs?

Any idea?

gordon

Post by gordon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:49 pm

LondonBlonde

I would certainly agree that there is a movement to prioritise EU citizens, but from what I can tell, this increase in stringency of immigration requirements to favour Europeans is evinced in tiers 2 and 3, but not in tier 1. Tier 2, for instance, requires reference to the shortage lists as well as resident labour market tests, both of which in practice are based on EU/UK labour supply in relation to extant demand. Tier 3 all but cuts off potential settlement for unskilled migrant workers, and requires reference to the SAB and resident labour, sponsorship and repatriation, requirements obviously not imposed on EU migrants at that skill level.

So I would argue that tiers 2 and 3 reduce the ability for non-EU migrants to enter the UK labour market, and on some level this must be linked to the demands of labour mobility within the EU. But there does not appear to be any evidence that any of these same requirements, designed for compliance with EU directives, are to be applied to tier 1 migrants.

All of the language used to discuss tier 1 has implied a certain exceptionalism for this relatively small segment of economic migrants into the UK, reflecting a delicate balance, I think, between the Government's desire to comply with EU expectations, and their desire autonomously to offer an attractive pathway for high-productivity workers (without capitulating completely to the EU). The via media, as it were, for immigration policy.

AG

cagrawal

Another info

Post by cagrawal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 pm

cagrawal

Further Info

Post by cagrawal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi,

following is the info from one site:
Tier 1 is designed for migrants with the highest skills and will replace the HSMP. They do not need a job offer or employer sponsorship for the visa and the application can be made from outside the UK. There is also the additional flexibility of being able to change employers, and a doctor can work in several trusts—for example, as a locum. Points are awarded for age, earnings (relative to rates in the country in which it was earned), and qualifications. English language ability is a requirement for tiers 1 and 2. The pass mark is 75 points.

Tiers 1 and 2 are routes to settlement in the UK and allow dependants. A minimum of five years' residence is needed for settlement. Tier 1 is initially granted for two years and after reassessment for a further two to three years.

gordon

Re: Another info

Post by gordon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Reading that, one would wonder what would happen with any prospective highly skilled migrants between the end of HSMP in July 2006 (as indicated in the article) and the roll-out of the tier system in early 2008 !! Then again, I don't suppose that the BMJ ever claimed to be an authoritative source on immigration policy ...

cagrawal

Post by cagrawal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi Gordon,

I am just trying to get different interpretations of the PBS.
I certainly agree with your opinion on this that guys currently on HSMP will have to satisy the same criteria what they put in Dec 2006.

Regards,
Chandan