ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrige Certificate - Validity and Apostille Stamp

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Bucki

Marrige Certificate - Validity and Apostille Stamp

Post by Bucki » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi

hope i chosen the right topic for my concern!
Basically, i as a British Citizen got married back home by using my homeland passport (allowed to have 2 nationalities) also for quicker process to get the marriage date / certificate.

We now got it and it has a communal stamp on it, also the document is in 3 languages inc english.

I will use this document when making spouse visa to UK!

Some people say that, this document will not be accepted by british ambasy / border agancy because it should have another stamp called "apostille" .

others say, It is not valid cos I should have used my british passport to get married down there.

:( :(

I hope all of these is not true cos then i would have to get divorced snd get married again. a very long and unpleasant process!

pls pls pla guide me and let me know :(
cos at the minite i feel like shit.

Bucki

Re: Marrige Certificate - is this valid!?

Post by Bucki » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:58 pm

PLEASE HELPPPPPPP

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:21 pm

If the marriage is considered legal in the country where the ceremony took place, then it will be considered legal in the UK. If the certificate is in English it can be submitted for the visa application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 pm

what do mean "if certificated legal"

I married there by using my homeland document and passport ( not by using UK passport) therefore in tje certificate it states my homeland address, city and the nationality: alb (instead of british).

why i used homeland passport??
because It was easier process and quicker to get it done.
the certificat document itself is also in english.

Now, i am worried that it wont be accepted by UK border agency or UK ambasy due to the "apostile stamp" but it has the communal stamp. Tthey said, they dont want to give apostile stamp cos they wanted me to have used my british passport to get married!!

this is driving me insane ...

this means i have to get devorced now :(

f*** appostille stamp

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:35 am

14. SET3.14 Assessment of validity of marriage.

Note that you cannot get a divorce if you are not legally married.
If you are legally married, then there is no need for a divorce.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:32 am

"if not legally married" !??

i used all my legal homeland documents, passsport and birth certificate. The only thing they did not know is that I have british passport, (as they insisted to use my uk passport to get married, but was a long process) hence why i did the other way.

now to my understanding; why should it matter if i get married by using my homeland passport ?! i mean, the marriage certificate is a proof that I am married.

my misses went to get that "apostille stamp" but they refused to stamp the marriage certificate by saying that I should have used my UK pass to get married.

the certificate itself has got the communal stamp, and now
worried that it wont be accepted :(

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 am

I didn't write 'certificated legal'. I wrote 'it will be considered legal'. :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 am

I did not tell them that I am british, because I have dual citizenships and entiteled to have both.

I simply provided all the legal docs from my homeland and got married there, hence why the "nationality" on the marriage certificate states: Alb, (and not british)

So it is not considered legal then!???
is tje APOSTILE STAMP a requirement
for the spouse visa application !?
in particular for the marriage certificate.

Thanks

Bucki

Does a foreign marriage certificate need an apostille stamp?

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 am

LETS REVERSE THE CASE:

I as a british citizen, got married in my homeland with my homeland passport instead (not UK passport)

Does the homeland marriage certificate need the apostille stamp!?) and what if it cannot be obtained with the reason "you should have got married with UK pass"

I am in this situation now .
A divorce is being proposed to me!!!

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:22 pm

What is your home country? I'd like to look up the marriage laws of that country and then maybe provide some advice.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:33 pm

ouflak1 wrote:What is your home country? I'd like to look up the marriage laws of that country and then maybe provide some advice.

KS

I Pm-ed u as well.

Bucki

do I need Apostille Stamp on my Mirriage Certificate

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 pm

I had to open this topic
as someone deleted my question in on of the otjer topics.

anyway...

I as british citizen got married back home by using my country's document (not uk passport/docs)

all because it was easier and quicker.

Now, someone told me that I need apostille stamp on my mirrage certificate when applying for SPOUSE VISA TO UK.

In other hand, local authorities back home refusing to give appstille stamp due to the reason - not have used uk passport to get married.

question: is this required from uk!?
also, what to do !?

Do i have to get divorced!?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm

I moved your post to your other thread.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/announ ... t5722.html

You have already been advised that the apostille is not required. The marriage certificate only needs to be valid.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bucki

Re: Marrige Certificate - Validity and Apostille Stamp

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:19 pm

ALSO

does it really matter with which passport you get married abroad!? is it a required to use british passport in this case just as mine !? and does it matter that it does NOT state BRITISH as nationality on the marriage certificate,??

thanks

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:23 pm

CR001 wrote:I moved your post to your other thread.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/announ ... t5722.html

You have already been advised that the apostille is not required. The marriage certificate only needs to be valid.
sorry my bad I do appologies :(

Regards the info,

no they did not say that apostille is not required but rather that rhe certificate is valid!

well the point of apostille stamp is to prrov the authencity of the documents - or to make them valid?!

thought that is what apostille stamp is.

Also, regards the stamp, the local authority back home are refusing to provide apostile stamp just cos I got married with my homeland passport and not with UK passport.

I find this very disturbing to why it really matters which citizenship you use to get married.

mmm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:34 pm

I think that you are possibly stressing for no reason and I will explain why.

I got married in South Africa to my dual South African/British husband. He used his South African documents for the marriage as that is the requirement in South Africa. I have been through a spouse visa, ILR and British Citizenship using a South African Marriage certificate (with no apostille stamp) and the certificate does not state my husband is British at all.

Also, I have also successfully applied for Schengen visas using the same marriage certificate and had no problems.

Hopefully that clarifies it for you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:44 pm

CR001 wrote:I think that you are possibly stressing for no reason ...
Yesss I am stressed and sad!

since I hears of this silly apostille stamp, I gone mad cos the local authorities back home are refusing to provide any stamp.

also the stamp is valid for 6 months anyway.

I mean, to my logic this should not matter with which passport I get married, as long as it is valid.

question: how does UK accept my mirrage cert as being valid!? do they accept as valid only with apostile stamp!?

could it be that South Africa does not need to provide Apostile Stamp!? and it depeds the country ur from!?

the certificate itself has got the communal stamp and is in 3 languages including english.

my worry is that, UK may turn my application down cos of the missing apostile stamp and then willl have to go through divorce just so to get remarried with uk pass.

all this is just nonesence to me but hope this is not true ...
and indeed apostile is not required.

Will apply for spouse visa by end of Septemer this year.

Cheers
Last edited by Bucki on Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I cannot say it any more clearly than you have already been advised. Apostille stamp is not required. Marriage certificate needs to be valid and legal. HO deals with foreign spouse applications all the time, they generally know what they are doing and there are many countries that have not subscribed to the apostille convention.

Just make sure you meet the income requirement and your spouse meets the English requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:53 pm

CR001 wrote:I think that you are possibly stressing for no reason and I will explain why.

I got married in South Africa to my dual South African/British husband. He used his South African documents for the marriage as that is the requirement in South Africa. I have been through a spouse visa, ILR and British Citizenship using a South African Marriage certificate (with no apostille stamp) and the certificate does not state my husband is British at all.

Also, I have also successfully applied for Schengen visas using the same marriage certificate and had no problems.

Hopefully that clarifies it for you.
I believe your stress may be preventing you from fully understanding the advise you've been given. CR001 has given you advise based on personal experience.
1. An apostille stamp isn't required
2. It doesn't matter that you haven't used your British passport
3. If your marriage is considered legal in the country where the marriage took place, it will be legal under British law
4. The marriage certificate will be accepted as it is also written in English
(Casa, not CR001)

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:00 pm

guys

I appreciate ur time and advise
I think my english is not good enough or maybe you dont understand me clearly.

I give prime example:

when My misses provided a copy of my british passport to the ministri of difence, they said "sorry apostile is not given in this case because ur husband should have used his uk passport"

does this mean, they are not seeing my marriage certificate as valid in this case!?

other thing is: probably my Country (kosovo) is not part of the Huagee convention (whatever that is) and maybe Apostile Stamp is required !?

All the spouse visa requirements I read none of them mentioned the apostile stamp, and all my mates who got married back home sayinf that apostile stamp is needed.

this is what is getting me mad ...

Hope you understand me

Ps: I meet financial requirement and my wofe passed the english test over 6 months ago. (hope iit does not expire)

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:34 pm

as per say of the validity of the certificate:

- if i present myself with the homeland passport to the local authorties the. they would accept the certificate

- if i present myself with the UK pasport then they will reject and say "you should have got married with UK passport"

this is what it confusing to me :(

when I makerhe spouse visa application.
I hope HO will not reject cos i got married with different passport.

anyway .. i am stressed out and ny misses even more.

dont know what to do :(

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:14 pm

@ cr001

According to this website
http://www.apostille.ie

the countries listed there are the ones which need APOSTILLE STAMPS ?? note that south africa is in the list!

my country Kosovo is not listed tho' .
Point is, she is coming to UK, and whether UK wont need the apostile from my country - is a questionmark!?

nmmmm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:00 pm

the countries listed there are the ones which need APOSTILLE STAMPS ?? note that south africa is in the list!
It is not required. We were two South African citizens marrying and our marriage has been and is recognised in the UK.
- if i present myself with the UK pasport then they will reject and say "you should have got married with UK passport"
They being who?? UKVI?? They will not as you are a dual citizen. It is irrelevant.

You have provided a Iink relevant to the Republic of Ireland, which is not under the UK immigration rules as Ireland is not part of the UK.

If your marriage is legal and recognised in Kosovo, it will be recognised in the UK. I feel there is no clearer message that we can actually give you.

Hundreds and thousands of spouses all over the world have applied for a UK spouse visa and I am almost certain that most of them have not had apostilled marriage certificates.

You are creating an issue that is not there and causing yourself unnecessary stress.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Yes I know I am instress because I been working hard to make sure i fit the financial requirements and the accomodation and I do not wish this to be a failure just cost of a silly apostile stamp.

thanks for ur kind words and reasurance.

I am just worried and afraid :( that is all.
after all, it is a nightmare having to go through issues when they (UK) refuses the application ... taking over 6 month untill u can reply etc.

i hope i and nobody else has to go through it

thanks u all

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm

I married my husband outside of the UK and submitted an original copy of our marriage certificate. He was granted a spouse entry visa, ILR and British Citizenship...all without an apostille. :|
If you're still not convinced that we've given you correct information, seek advice from a legally qualified immigration advisor,
(Casa, not CR001)