ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A few questions re: naturalisation application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

browneyed_girlksk
Newly Registered

A few questions re: naturalisation application

Post by browneyed_girlksk » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping to apply for UK naturalisation soon, and had a few things I was hoping someone could help clarify:

1. I've been in the UK about 6 years (3 years as tier 1, 2 years as unmarried partner, and now 2 years permanent resident). I'm assuming that since I'm an unmarried partner (and not married or a civil partner) I need to satisfy the 5-year residency requirement and not the 3-year - correct?

2. Is submitting all of my passports and my current biometric residence permit (obviously UKBA has taken away my old one) sufficient to prove my physical presence in the UK, or do I need to get a bunch of letters from employers etc. I'd hoped to avoid the latter as tracking down and getting documentation from all of my old employers etc. will delay my application significantly.

3. I passed the Life in the UK test back in 2013 and am exempt from an English test as I am a Canadian citizen. The application guide states that, along with my test certificate, I need to submit the same ID I used at the testing centre on the day of my exam. I used my biometric residence permit, which the UKBA replaced when I successfully obtained ILR. Will it be a problem submitting my new biometric residence permit when the life in the UK records will show my old permit number??

4. I know that applications can take several months to process. If they take ages considering my application (i.e.: in excess of 6 months) I'm concerned that my passport my actually expire whilst they are considering my application. If this were to happen would they refuse my application. Similarly, if I was to use the application checking service so as to retain all my original documents and happened to renew my passport whilst they are in the process of considering my application would it cause a problem??

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it! Rather specific questions I know, but really hoping to avoid losing a whole lot of money on a technicality if I can help it.....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: A few questions re: naturalisation application

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 pm

1. I've been in the UK about 6 years (3 years as tier 1, 2 years as unmarried partner, and now 2 years permanent resident). I'm assuming that since I'm an unmarried partner (and not married or a civil partner) I need to satisfy the 5-year residency requirement and not the 3-year - correct? 5 years is correct yes.

2. Is submitting all of my passports and my current biometric residence permit (obviously UKBA has taken away my old one) sufficient to prove my physical presence in the UK, or do I need to get a bunch of letters from employers etc. I'd hoped to avoid the latter as tracking down and getting documentation from all of my old employers etc. will delay my application significantly. You don't need employer letters. HO has your full immigration history. You must make sure that you were physically present in the UK exactly 5 years ago to the day on the date that HO receives your application. This includes any holiday and business absence out of the UK.

3. I passed the Life in the UK test back in 2013 and am exempt from an English test as I am a Canadian citizen. The application guide states that, along with my test certificate, I need to submit the same ID I used at the testing centre on the day of my exam. I used my biometric residence permit, which the UKBA replaced when I successfully obtained ILR. Will it be a problem submitting my new biometric residence permit when the life in the UK records will show my old permit number?? Passport and current BRP should be fine.

4. I know that applications can take several months to process. If they take ages considering my application (i.e.: in excess of 6 months) I'm concerned that my passport my actually expire whilst they are considering my application. If this were to happen would they refuse my application. Similarly, if I was to use the application checking service so as to retain all my original documents and happened to renew my passport whilst they are in the process of considering my application would it cause a problem?? No they won't refuse if your passport expires. I would strongly suggest using the Nationality Checking Service, it is a small fee to pay to retain original documents and have peace of mind. No issue if you renew your passport during application. Applications are currently taking about 2 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

browneyed_girlksk
Newly Registered

Post by browneyed_girlksk » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks for your help :D

Stace_ILR
Newly Registered

Post by Stace_ILR » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi.

I actually have a question regarding your application. As a Canadian citizen do you need to provide any extra information/take extra steps, to get your dual nationality?

To give you an idea of what I mean, As a South African citizen you need to get a letter from the UK saying you dont have British citizenship yet and then you need to apply to South Africa for permission to get UK citizenship.
I have looked for any such thing for Canada and I am unable to find anything, which I imagine means there is nothing like this you have to do out of the ordinary, that is not in the application guidelines.

Any help you can provide would be most helpful.

Thanks
STacey

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:33 pm

While I am not Canadian, I'll attempt to respond to that.

I researched this question for a work colleague and it appears, as you mentioned that, that there is no such requirement on the Canadian side. Nor is such a requirement there for either Nigeria or Pakistan (again, based on work colleagues' experiences).

However, other European countries have similar provisions when getting dual citizenship with a non-EEA country. So, for instance, Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Terminator, had to apply for permission from the Austrian government to retain his Austrian citizenship before applying for US citizenship. Had he not, he would have automatically lost his Austrian citizenship.

Which means, that from the UK's point of view, he is an EEA citizen, with freedom of movement. Were he to come to the UK, of course, he would be a Dalek, an ex-Terminator :D