ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council bedsit accomodation council not helping, what to do?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

humbleguy
Mood:
Afghanistan

Council bedsit accomodation council not helping, what to do?

Post by humbleguy » Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 pm

I live in a council flat which is a bedsit, ie no bedrooms or living rooms, just a room big enough to have a double bed and large sofa. shortest is 3 by 4 meters, which means its 12 square meter.

Applying for spouse entry clearance visa. The council is providing a letter that states only 1 person is "suitable" for occupation. where as it should be saying that as she is your wife, you are allowed to live and share this property.

Anyone know how to deal with the council correctly? according to housing act, I am allowed to bring my wife and she can stay with me legally.

Any help will be appreciated.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Council bedsit accomodation council not helping, what to

Post by Casa » Fri May 01, 2015 10:29 pm

If it is 120sq feet (12sq metres) it should be considered suitable for occupation by 2 people. The problem may be that the Council have provided you with accommodation as a single person.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

humbleguy
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by humbleguy » Fri May 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Casa wrote:If it is 120sq feet (12sq metres) it should be considered suitable for occupation by 2 people. The problem may be that the Council have provided you with accommodation as a single person.
Yes actually the property was provided to me as single person. Now my circumstance have changed and I dont how to get the council to give me the correct form of information.

humbleguy
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by humbleguy » Wed May 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi All,
I actually have an update on this, I asked the council to amend the letter. they replaced 1 person with 1 bedspace. I am not sure if that is sufficient for my and my wife and will the ECO take issue with this as well.

Also the council still wont write explicitly that she has premission to stay at my place as she is my wife, nor do they deny it in the letter. it is left for interpretation by the ECO. I am stilling asking them to change it but its just taking too much time.

any ideas about 1 bedspace is there a clear rule in immigration rule about this? thanks for your help. This forum is an absolute saver!!!!