ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Error in HO Language Requirement Document?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrDodge
Newly Registered

Error in HO Language Requirement Document?

Post by MrDodge » Tue May 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi guys,

I've been trying to make sense of this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tional.pdf

On p4 it describes the levels and grades required for the exam Cambridge English: First/First Certificate in English.
According to the exam board, the levels are from LOWEST to HIGHEST:
A2, B1, B2, C1 , C2.
My understanding is that the HO document states that a HIGHER grade is required if you sat a HIGHER level exam, which is
obviously absurd.

So am I wrong or is this an error?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Error in HO Language Requirement Document?

Post by fwd079 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:23 am

MrDodge wrote:Hi guys,

I've been trying to make sense of this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tional.pdf

On p4 it describes the levels and grades required for the exam Cambridge English: First/First Certificate in English.
According to the exam board, the levels are from LOWEST to HIGHEST:
A2, B1, B2, C1 , C2.
My understanding is that the HO document states that a HIGHER grade is required if you sat a HIGHER level exam, which is
obviously absurd.

So am I wrong or is this an error?
This is the equation between your grades in exams, and corresponding CEFR levels you get for those grades.

Please look at the table in this link which tells the scales are equal. In simple words, if you achieve grade A in exam, you fall into CEFR Level C1 qualification category, if you get grade B or grad C in exam you fall into CEFR Level B2 qualification category.
And if you are below grade C in your exams, Cambridge doesn't bother giving you a grade :lol: instead you are awarded "Level B1" which is CEFR Level B1.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

MrDodge
Newly Registered

Post by MrDodge » Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 am

OK, thanks. What a confusing system! I think the document would be easier to understand if it simply said "Level B1 or higher". The grades column seems to be redundant.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:56 am

MrDodge wrote:OK, thanks. What a confusing system! I think the document would be easier to understand if it simply said "Level B1 or higher". The grades column seems to be redundant.
It is for folks who have grades but do not know the equivalent CEFR level. They can cross check and find out. Please note that "Level B1 CEFR or higher" is Home Office's requirement for its visa purposes, other organisations might have different requirements, so it is possible someone has already taken a higher level of grade for some other purpose. Hence why Cambridge provides full comparison and so does Home Office.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

MrDodge
Newly Registered

Post by MrDodge » Wed May 06, 2015 1:49 pm

ok, thanks mate.