ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Card and applying for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

toggs
Newly Registered

Biometric Card and applying for citizenship

Post by toggs » Wed May 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi All

My wife is applying for citizenship this month. However I have a question, her Biomentric Card is in her maiden name still. Back in Feb 2015 I got the name changed by deed poll to reflect her new full married name. So her driving licence has her new marital name and bank accounts etc.

The biometric info on the website says to update personal details a new biometric card needs to be made alongside an additional fee, and failing to do may lead to a fine of £1000. https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances ... have-a-brp

For BC the biometric card needs to be sent but it has her old maiden name on it - will this cause a problem?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Biometric Card and applying for citizenship

Post by fwd079 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:19 pm

toggs wrote:Hi All

My wife is applying for citizenship this month. However I have a question, her Biomentric Card is in her maiden name still. Back in Feb 2015 I got the name changed by deed poll to reflect her new full married name. So her driving licence has her new marital name and bank accounts etc.

The biometric info on the website says to update personal details a new biometric card needs to be made alongside an additional fee, and failing to do may lead to a fine of £1000. https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances ... have-a-brp

For BC the biometric card needs to be sent but it has her old maiden name on it - will this cause a problem?
The link you mentioned clearly says:
Use this form if you are in the UK with a visa for Tier 1, 2, 4 or 5 and you need to notify UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) of a change in your circumstances.
Your wife is on ILR. So she can simply fill in the form and send Deed poll and marriage certificate along with a cover letter, along with her application to support her case. Personally I'd apply through NCS to have a bit more peace of mind, and NCS will give you your originals back so you are free to travel.
Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Chelsea111
Newly Registered

Post by Chelsea111 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:47 pm

I have sent my application by post with all original documents. I just have a question? will they return the Residence card?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:32 pm

toggs wrote:Hi All

The name difference on the BRP card won't matter for naturalisation & it's probably not worth bothering about synchronising the names now (once approved the card will be cancelled anyway; you won't need it any more).

Just be aware of this scenario - it affects married women who choose to naturalise in their married name but who hold a current passport in their maiden name:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html

It's all to do with this poorly-publicised new policy (which is not mentioned in the guidance notes):
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crac ... -detection

It gets tricky if the original country does not allow changes to original passport or name.
So to avoid future problems when applying for a first British passport, you may wish to reconsider which is the best name to naturalise with.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Chelsea111 wrote:I have sent my application by post with all original documents. I just have a question? will they return the Residence card?
Yes, most probably.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.