ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Couple questions on Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raf84
Newly Registered

Couple questions on Naturalisation

Post by raf84 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 am

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions around the naturlisation process. I have started completing Form AN but gosh, the process is complicated.

The facts:
Polish passport holder. Been in the UK since Feb 08 (7 years+), employed in a professional capacity (chartered accountant) for entire time.

So the questions:

i) Do I need to, or does it help in any way to complete an EEA (QP) and seek Permamnent Residence before submitting my Naturlisation documentation? I gather the PR process doesnt take long (2 weeks?) but it just seems like hassle filling in a 60 page form? Could I avoid needing to complete the PR form by submitting a combination of letters from employers, P60s and council tax forms as evidence of the 5 year requiement for Form AN?

ii) In registering (and passing) my Life in the UK test, i used my passport in the application. I note in Form AN they request you submit whatever document you used to register in the Life in the UK test, however I would prefer to submit my National ID card to avoid being unable to travel (at least in Europe) for however long the process takes? Will it delay or hinder the application if I submit my National ID card as part of my application process?

iii) How long should I realistically expect before I can get my ID documents back during the Naturlisation process? Is it a few months?

Many thanks!

Raf

badratio

Re: Couple questions on Naturalisation

Post by badratio » Wed May 13, 2015 11:22 am

raf84 wrote:
i) Do I need to, or does it help in any way to complete an EEA (QP) and seek Permamnent Residence before submitting my Naturlisation documentation? I gather the PR process doesnt take long (2 weeks?) but it just seems like hassle filling in a 60 page form? Could I avoid needing to complete the PR form by submitting a combination of letters from employers, P60s and council tax forms as evidence of the 5 year requiement for Form AN? You don't have to have a PR card but without it your application will take longer. Payslips, P60s and etc should suffice.

ii) In registering (and passing) my Life in the UK test, i used my passport in the application. I note in Form AN they request you submit whatever document you used to register in the Life in the UK test, however I would prefer to submit my National ID card to avoid being unable to travel (at least in Europe) for however long the process takes? Will it delay or hinder the application if I submit my National ID card as part of my application process? You have to submit that same document you used for LITUK test, I'm afraid. It can take up to 6 months but you can request your passport back and they should return it within 21 days. Although, they might ask to see it again if they decide so.

iii) How long should I realistically expect before I can get my ID documents back during the Naturlisation process? Is it a few months?
Up to 6 months but generally quicker.

Raf
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

raf84
Newly Registered

Post by raf84 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 am

badratio wrote:
raf84 wrote:
i) Do I need to, or does it help in any way to complete an EEA (QP) and seek Permamnent Residence before submitting my Naturlisation documentation? I gather the PR process doesnt take long (2 weeks?) but it just seems like hassle filling in a 60 page form? Could I avoid needing to complete the PR form by submitting a combination of letters from employers, P60s and council tax forms as evidence of the 5 year requiement for Form AN? You don't have to have a PR card but without it your application will take longer. Payslips, P60s and etc should suffice.

ii) In registering (and passing) my Life in the UK test, i used my passport in the application. I note in Form AN they request you submit whatever document you used to register in the Life in the UK test, however I would prefer to submit my National ID card to avoid being unable to travel (at least in Europe) for however long the process takes? Will it delay or hinder the application if I submit my National ID card as part of my application process? You have to submit that same document you used for LITUK test, I'm afraid. It can take up to 6 months but you can request your passport back and they should return it within 21 days. Although, they might ask to see it again if they decide so.

Up to 6 months but generally quicker.

Raf
OK thanks... much appreciated. The more I read the "helpful" notes on the .gov website, the less clear it becomes!

So it says, as an EU national,

"If you are a national of a country which is a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status after exercising EEA free movement rights in the UK for any continuous period of 5 years ending on or after 30 April 2006, and therefore will not have to apply for indefinite leave to remain. But remember that, unless married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. This means that you may need to wait until you have been in the United Kingdom for 6 years before you can apply."

I am not married to a BC, so it says I need to be here 6 years before I apply for naturalisation. Thats fine, I have been here over 7 years, but the AN form only asks for residential/travel details for the last 5 years, so how or where do I prove I have been here the minimum 6 years???

badratio

Post by badratio » Wed May 13, 2015 12:29 pm

You can prove it with payslips, utility and council tax bills, employment contracts.

This is why it's best to get a PR card before applying for naturalisation because you're risking to lose £1025 when application for PR is only £55. PR confirms your status of a permanent resident which is the safest way of meeting residence requirement.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015