ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa (Husband) Information

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

itachi
Newly Registered
India

Spouse Visa (Husband) Information

Post by itachi » Wed May 13, 2015 11:09 am

I am currently located in India and will be marrying my fiance (a British Citizen) later this year. We have some issues regarding the visa application and it would really helpful if you guys can help me clarify them:

1) The application takes about 2-4 months be processed. This means that she will have to go back to the UK and I will have to stay back before the visa is granted. Can we get married in the UK itself? We don't actually want to wait for so long after marriage.

2) Her income is above the 18,600 threshold limit but she lives with her parents currently. We plan to get a new house but that is dependant on the visa approval. Can we show her parent's house as an accommodation on the visa papers?

3) I've heard that applications in Mumbai, India are faster. Can we apply from mumbai instead of New Delhi?

Would really appreciate your help on this :) Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Visa (Husband) Information

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:45 am

1) The application takes about 2-4 months be processed. This means that she will have to go back to the UK and I will have to stay back before the visa is granted. Can we get married in the UK itself? We don't actually want to wait for so long after marriage. Yes you could get married in the UK, but you would need to apply for the Fiance Visa, which has the same requirements as a spouse visa. Have you and your partner met in person?

You cannot come to the UK on a visitor visa and then switch to spouse visa, if that is what you were thinking of doing.

2) Her income is above the 18,600 threshold limit but she lives with her parents currently. We plan to get a new house but that is dependant on the visa approval. Can we show her parent's house as an accommodation on the visa papers? SHould be fine provided you have a letter and proof of the accommodation and that it won't be overcrowded.

3) I've heard that applications in Mumbai, India are faster. Can we apply from mumbai instead of New Delhi? You can apply at any centre in your country of residence from what I understand.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

singhsaab
Newly Registered

Post by singhsaab » Wed May 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Hello itachi (did you miss the H at the beginning?) ;)

1) New Delhi processing times are 25/26 working days, so lets say a month and a half, not necessarily 2-4 months but yes could be up to 60 working days depending on the paper work you submit and how straightforward the application is. And you can only apply for spouse visa from India, given that you are an Indian citizen. Even if you were to travel to the UK on a fiance visa to get married, I am pretty sure you will have to travel back to India to apply for spouse visa. And it is much much cheaper to get married in India and the food does not even compare! ;)

2) Parents house is fine as long as she can prove there is enough space for one more resident to be accommodated in the house without it being overcrowded. A friend did not add this bit of evidence and had to run through council to get letters etc to submit later and it took over 6 months to get the visa. She should provide some utility bill that has her name on it too - gas, electricity, water, council tax, etc.

3) If your city of residence falls within New Delhi jurisdiction (North India), you will have to apply at New Delhi mate and not Bombay. Not sure why they are much faster!

Best option as I see it is get married in India, get all documentation ready, apply for spouse visa in India, get visa and then travel to the UK.

Good luck!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

1) New Delhi processing times are 25/26 working days, so lets say a month and a half, not necessarily 2-4 months but yes could be up to 60 working days depending on the paper work you submit and how straightforward the application is. And you can only apply for spouse visa from India, given that you are an Indian citizen. Even if you were to travel to the UK on a fiance visa to get married, I am pretty sure you will have to travel back to India to apply for spouse visa. And it is much much cheaper to get married in India and the food does not even compare! ;)
This is incorrect information. If an applicant applies for a Fiance visa, which is valid for 6 months and must get married within that time, they are allowed to apply to switch to a spouse visa within the UK.
It is a visitor visa or marriage visit visa that does not permit switching.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

itachi
Newly Registered
India

Post by itachi » Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 pm

@CR001 - Thanks for the quick response. I know her from the last 15 years or so. I still cannot find a Fiance Visa on the UK Visa website.

@singhsaab - Thanks for your advice. We just don't want to stay in different locations for a few months after marriage. So just trying to come out with an alternative.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:38 pm

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:

join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
Char (CR001 not Casa)

itachi
Newly Registered
India

Post by itachi » Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm

@CR001 - Thanks again for the quick reply. If I get the Join Family in UK (Fiance) Visa, it mentions that I cannot work. Do I need to reapply for a different visa again? Or will I be able to work after marriage?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:07 pm

If you have met your fiance and planned to marry in the UK and meet the requirements of the visa, once you are married, you apply to switch to FLR(M) and once this is granted you will be permitted to work. You cannot work on a fiance visa unfortunately.

You will need substantial evidence of relationship and marriage plans to qualify for a fiance visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 13, 2015 3:08 pm

You will be able to work after your application for FLR(M) has been approved.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

itachi
Newly Registered
India

Post by itachi » Wed May 13, 2015 3:26 pm

@CR001 @Casa Thanks. So this means I would actually have to spend double the money in two similar application. Thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know how it goes. :D