ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner claiming benefits and housing benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

maittm

Partner claiming benefits and housing benefit

Post by maittm » Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 pm

hi
Please help
Applied as a parent for 2 British children, does my partners claim for child benefit and housing affect my application.

Many thanks
Maittm

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Partner claiming benefits and housing benefit

Post by Casa » Fri May 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Your partner can apply for benefit in their name (assuming you're the one on a visa and they're British or settled). Housing benefit can only be awarded for your spouse and children, you can't be included in the calculation.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mo.No
Newly Registered

Re: Partner claiming benefits and housing benefit

Post by Mo.No » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Dear Casa,

I am at the same situation, my partner and her daughter are British citizens and I am oversea student on Tier 4 General Student visa. She was entitled to receive two bedroom housing benefit and after we moved in together and rented a new property she notified the local council about the change in circumstances. They have sent us a letter saying that they will pay her housing benefit but it may affect my visa status and I will be in breach of immigration law because I am indirectly benefiting from her benefit. They are saying that the claim has to be joint as we are partners and I could not be invisible on the claim. Although, it is not stated that I will definitely be in breach of my visa requirements, but I "may" be viewed as accessing to public funds. Even Citizen Advice could not confirm whether I will be in breach of immigration or not! Do you know how can find any official or legal document that clarify this situation?
p.s. I have sent an email to home office asking about their policies about this situations and still no reply!