ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering the UK from outside the EU using a German ID card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

basel_jaber
Newly Registered

Entering the UK from outside the EU using a German ID card

Post by basel_jaber » Sat May 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi
My wife is German and her passport is with the home office for my residency application. She is travelling to Jordan and she will be entering Jordan using her Jordanian passport but she wants to enter the UK when she gets back using her German ID card. Is that possible or does she need a passport.

I am aware that you can enter the UK using EU ID cards https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/be ... for-the-uk
However this does not state whether its travellers from within the EU or does it also include travellers outside the europe?

I appreciate your help.

secret.simon

Re: Entering the UK from outside the EU using a German ID ca

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 23, 2015 8:18 pm

If your wife is a German citizen, she can enter the UK on her German ID Card, no matter where in the world she flies in from. She may however spend more time at the immigration counter, as immigration officers are more suspicious of ID Cards as compared to passports.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun May 24, 2015 4:14 pm

secret.simon wrote:If your wife is a German citizen, she can enter the UK on her German ID Card, no matter where in the world she flies in from. She may however spend more time at the immigration counter, as immigration officers are more suspicious of ID Cards as compared to passports.

I frequently travel to the UK, sometimes using my German passport, sometimes my German national ID card.

I have never experienced any noticeable difference in either treatment or speed of processing at the immigration counter.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 24, 2015 5:31 pm

ALKB wrote:I frequently travel to the UK, sometimes using my German passport, sometimes my German national ID card.

I have never experienced any noticeable difference in either treatment or speed of processing at the immigration counter.
That was my personal, anecdotal observation. I've observed that ID Card checks are more thorough than passport checks across Western Europe (observed at German and Italian airports and at the Calais crossing). It is not much, say 20-30 seconds for a passport check versus 2-3 minutes for an ID card check, but it is noticeable when the queue stops moving suddenly and the immigration officer spends time chatting to the person at the counter.

None of this detracts from the original answer to the question; that a German citizen can enter the UK on her German ID Card.