ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA with PR applying for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

brombeeren
Newly Registered

EEA with PR applying for naturalisation

Post by brombeeren » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello, I've been reading many posts but I cannot find the information I'm looking for.

I'm an EEA national and I was given the Permanent Residence in June 2010. Since then I haven't tried to apply for naturalisation until now.

The PR status is lost after one leaves the UK for more than 2 continuous years which is not the case. Then,
- do I have to prove that I have been residing in the UK during the 5 years since I've got the PR?
- if affirmative, how do I prove it? I haven't been employed during this time so I don't have p60s or any other employment-related papers, but I do have Council tax papers and other utility bills. Would those work?

Thank you!

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: EEA with PR applying for naturalisation

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:55 pm

brombeeren wrote:Hello, I've been reading many posts but I cannot find the information I'm looking for.

I'm an EEA national and I was given the Permanent Residence in June 2010. Since then I haven't tried to apply for naturalisation until now.

The PR status is lost after one leaves the UK for more than 2 continuous years which is not the case. Then,
- do I have to prove that I have been residing in the UK during the 5 years since I've got the PR?
- if affirmative, how do I prove it? I haven't been employed during this time so I don't have p60s or any other employment-related papers, but I do have Council tax papers and other utility bills. Would those work?

Thank you!
The residence requirements does not mean you have to prove your living, it means you were not absent from UK for more than required number of days. Your ILR/PR and Passport should suffice. Also please read Q5 in this link. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

brombeeren
Newly Registered

Post by brombeeren » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for the info fwd079.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 am

How would an EEA passport prove presence in the UK? Just wondering because our passports do not get stamped.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:41 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:How would an EEA passport prove presence in the UK? Just wondering because our passports do not get stamped.
Travel Tickets/Payslips/Work letters etc. should prove that you were not absent for more than required.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

brombeeren
Newly Registered

3 or 5 year residence for a EEA married to a BC

Post by brombeeren » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Firstly, sorry if this has been covered already. I have found similar threads but they didn't answer my question.

I' an EEA citizen married to a British citizen. I've held the PR document for 5 years and now I'm applying for naturalization.

Reading the Home Office literature I'm confused on whether I have to send proof of 3 or 5 years of residence in the UK.

The AN Booklet says on page 3, section 1 : "(...) If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (...) the legal requirements you should meet before you apply are that (...) you have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years before you apply."

But then on page 6, section 2 it says: "If you are a national of a member state of the EEA and do not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom, you will need to have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years even if you are married to a British citizen."

I do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain as a document. I do have the Permanent Residence document. I know that they are virtually the same, but makes me wonder what exactly they are referring to.

So, to fulfill the residence requirement, should I provide proof of 3 or 5 years?

Thanks in advance.

noajthan

Re: 3 or 5 year residence for a EEA married to a BC

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:11 pm

3 years.
Section 6(2) of BNA.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

brombeeren
Newly Registered

Post by brombeeren » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Thank you very much noajthan for such a fast reply.

brombeeren
Newly Registered

Naturalisation - other proof of residency

Post by brombeeren » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Hello all,

I have a question about what documents are valid to satisfy the residency requirement for naturalisation, other than:
- passport (I'm a EEA citizen and my passport is not stamped)
- employment/unemployment related documents (I wasn't employed during the relevant period, and I wasn't claiming any type of benefits. I was a homemaker, economically supported by my partner)
- education related documents (I wasn't studying during the relevant period)

What I have found from the info that the UKVI provides:

- Instructions in the form AN itself, page 30: "Evidence of lawful residence (...): your passport or letter from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in the UK."

- UKVI nationality instructions Volume 1, Chapter 18, Annex B, point 2.2.1 “We should assess whether the applicant has met the residence requirements: original passport (...)or, Home Office records or, failing this any other evidence (e.g. employer’s letters, a Seaman’s Record Book, tax and National Insurance letters)

Does anybody know from experience what other documents UKVI accepts other than the aforementioned? There is nothing that they list that I can provide, and I do not want to waste £1,200.

Thanks a lot in advance!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Posts merged.

No need for multiple posts.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Star30

Post by Star30 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 am

brombeeren wrote:Firstly, sorry if this has been covered already. I have found similar threads but they didn't answer my question.

I' an EEA citizen married to a British citizen. I've held the PR document for 5 years and now I'm applying for naturalization.

Reading the Home Office literature I'm confused on whether I have to send proof of 3 or 5 years of residence in the UK.

The AN Booklet says on page 3, section 1 : "(...) If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (...) the legal requirements you should meet before you apply are that (...) you have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years before you apply."

But then on page 6, section 2 it says: "If you are a national of a member state of the EEA and do not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom, you will need to have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years even if you are married to a British citizen."

I do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain as a document. I do have the Permanent Residence document. I know that they are virtually the same, but makes me wonder what exactly they are referring to.

So, to fulfill the residence requirement, should I provide proof of 3 or 5 years?

Thanks in advance.
It's bit strange ur circumstance , any home office would think u have been doing cash hand jobs