ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Process :: Work Permit WP1

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ruaank
Newly Registered

Process :: Work Permit WP1

Post by ruaank » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:21 am

Ok, so please don't kill me - I know there are loads of threads on this, but I think i'm just thick and I don't get the process.

Here's my scenario:

My compnay has just submitted their application for a work permit to the HO. Application was sent 1 Sept and payment was taking via Credit card 3 Sept.

What happens next?

I am a holiday maker and it expires end November. I have a returned flight booked home and I will go. Whether I will return is yet to be seen.

What is this ILR? How does it work - I understood I can only apply for it after I have been on the Work Permit for 4 years and that my 2 years WHV doesnt count? This website http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... _faqs.html states that one needs to apply for ILR before you atcually commence work?? This is contrary to what I originally thought..

Any advice please?

Thanks

Ru

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:54 pm

ILR is settlement/permanent residence. It can be given after 5 (not 4) years of WP. So ignore that for now.

You have done the correct thing. Once WP is issued, then you apply for FLR(IED), and in your case if you are outside UK, you willl probably need entry clearance.
Perry Ismangil

ruaank
Newly Registered

Post by ruaank » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:58 pm

ismangil wrote:You have done the correct thing. Once WP is issued, then you apply for FLR(IED), and in your case if you are outside UK, you willl probably need entry clearance.
Mate, you legend! That makes sense then - so basically, as I recalled my employer stated in the WP application form that they need to issue me with a work permit paper as I will need clearance .. So if I get it, I am going home and then I come back to the UK for clearance .. ie. the stamp!

Only after 4 years on the WP can I apply for ILR innit?

And could someone confirm .. From what I understand my 2 years on a visa working does not count towards the years on the work permit ye?

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 pm

If you got your work permit papers before your current visa expires, then you can apply for FLR(IED), and you can stay here while the application is processed. However if the work permit haven't gone out, then you have to leave the country, and apply for FLR(IED) and entry clearance through your local UK consulate.

The law was recently changed to lengthen the residency for settlement from 4 years to 5 years.
Perry Ismangil

magsi23
Member of Standing

Re: Process :: Work Permit WP1

Post by magsi23 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:14 pm

ruaank wrote:Ok, so please don't kill me - I know there are loads of threads on this, but I think i'm just thick and I don't get the process.

Here's my scenario:

My compnay has just submitted their application for a work permit to the HO. Application was sent 1 Sept and payment was taking via Credit card 3 Sept.

What happens next?

I am a holiday maker and it expires end November. I have a returned flight booked home and I will go. Whether I will return is yet to be seen.

What is this ILR? How does it work - I understood I can only apply for it after I have been on the Work Permit for 4 years and that my 2 years WHV doesnt count? This website http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... _faqs.html states that one needs to apply for ILR before you atcually commence work?? This is contrary to what I originally thought..

Any advice please?

Thanks

Ru
Unfortunatley your time in UK as WHV will not count as part for ILR, your ILR clock will start once you get your FLR based on your WP and yes as above its after 5 years you will qualify and not 4 years.

All the best mate
Magsi

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:08 pm

ismangil wrote:If you got your work permit papers before your current visa expires, then you can apply for FLR(IED), and you can stay here while the application is processed.
He can't. As I think he realises, he will have to go home anyway, as it is not possible to switch from WHM to WP (unless the WP is for a shortage skill).

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:59 pm

VictoriaS wrote:
ismangil wrote:If you got your work permit papers before your current visa expires, then you can apply for FLR(IED), and you can stay here while the application is processed.
He can't. As I think he realises, he will have to go home anyway, as it is not possible to switch from WHM to WP (unless the WP is for a shortage skill).
Victoria
Yep spot on
Magsi