ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query regarding British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ijaz75ak
Newly Registered

Query regarding British passport

Post by ijaz75ak » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:22 am

Hi my name is ijaz and i recently received my ILR on the basis of ten years long residency.Some of my friends said to me that you can apply directly for your passport as you have enough time spent in this country.I am not sure about this ,therefore if some of you can answer my question.secondly i have seen some information on this forum regarding my wife visa.she has just applied for spouse visa to switch from the pbs dependent visa.the forum says if she got the spouse visa then soon she can apply for the settlement visa as she is here form the last 5 years.plz guide me properly regarding these queries.thanks and regards Ijaz

noajthan

Re: Query regarding British passport

Post by noajthan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:12 am

ijaz75ak wrote:Hi my name is ijaz and i recently received my ILR on the basis of ten years long residency.Some of my friends said to me that you can apply directly for your passport as you have enough time spent in this country.I am not sure about this ,therefore if some of you can answer my question.secondly i have seen some information on this forum regarding my wife visa.she has just applied for spouse visa to switch from the pbs dependent visa.the forum says if she got the spouse visa then soon she can apply for the settlement visa as she is here form the last 5 years.plz guide me properly regarding these queries.thanks and regards Ijaz
Ijaz,
As you have ILR you next have to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen before becoming eligible to apply for a British passport.

This will help you; (it also applies to your wife at the moment):
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... -can-apply

When you have been naturalised then your wife will be the spouse of a British citizen so these rules would then apply to her:
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen

Note under this route she will require ILR first.

This website shows the route to follow:
https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y

Hope it helps.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Query regarding British passport

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:18 am

You have to wait exactly 12 months on ILR before you can apply for British Citizenship and once you have been approved and attended your ceremony, only then can you apply for a British passport.

Your wife will have to spend 5 years on spouse visa (FLR M) before she qualifies for ILR. The time spent as PBS dep is lost and cannot be counted towards this new 5 year residence requirement. PBS Dep can only be used if she reaches 10 years long residence.

Did your wife pay the IHS Surcharge before applying for FLR(M)?

Your wife would have qualified for ILR with you if you had applied based on your Tier 1 General visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.