ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Allocation of visas for DV2009

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Allocation of visas for DV2009

Post by starfleet_hq » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:11 am

Hello All

I have a query re allocation of green cards in the lottery.

It states that "Applicants registered for the DV-2007 program were selected at random from over 5.5 million qualified entries received during the 60-day application period that ran from 12:00 AM on October 5, 2005, until midnight, December 4, 2005. The visas have been apportioned among six geographic regions with a maximum of seven percent available to persons born in any single country."

The visa are apportioned over the 6 geographical areas, does that mean that the 50000 available are equally split for the areas? It states that people are selected at random then says visas are apportioned :?

With regards to Africa I've noticed that Nigeria, Egypt and Ethiopia seem to get the lion share and a small number for the other countries. Does this mean that the other countries have smaller numbers of people applying and therefore there is less of a chance of someone winning from these for instance Zambia have had only 73 people successful at the early stage?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Is the source of this information on the Internet? If you post the web page, some of us can look at it and examine the related web pages to try and understand more completely the full context.

the Admin

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:57 pm

Administrator wrote:.

Is the source of this information on the Internet? If you post the web page, some of us can look at it and examine the related web pages to try and understand more completely the full context.

the Admin
The info is from the second paragraph of the link

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants ... _1317.html

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:13 pm

I think there are some glaring biases with regards to eligible nationalities. The FAQ states that nations which have sent more than 50,000 immigrants in the past 5 years are not eligible. Then why is Ireland still on the eligible nations list when the Irish government accepts that there are atleast 50,000 illegal irish immigrants in the U.S. Obviously there are even more legal irish who are in the U.S...

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:11 am

archigabe wrote:I think there are some glaring biases with regards to eligible nationalities. The FAQ states that nations which have sent more than 50,000 immigrants in the past 5 years are not eligible. Then why is Ireland still on the eligible nations list when the Irish government accepts that there are atleast 50,000 illegal irish immigrants in the U.S. Obviously there are even more legal irish who are in the U.S...
Yeah and the special one for Cuba? But we all know why that one exists. I was actually going to do my research on the special treatment of Cubans as against Haitians in the U.S immigration policy. The differences were/are quite glaring despite the fact that many people (now) consider most of these people (Cubans) to be economic migrants (but, then again how can one separate the economic from the political?).

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 am

archigabe wrote:I think there are some glaring biases with regards to eligible nationalities. The FAQ states that nations which have sent more than 50,000 immigrants in the past 5 years are not eligible. Then why is Ireland still on the eligible nations list when the Irish government accepts that there are atleast 50,000 illegal irish immigrants in the U.S. Obviously there are even more legal irish who are in the U.S...
Because it's nothing to do with how many illegals are in the U.S.

This file shows that only 2083 Irish born persons became legal permanent residents in 2005:
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/stat ... arbook.pdf (3.2MB)

A country needs an average of about 10,000 a year before it's in danger of becoming ineligible for the DV Lottery.

And eligibility for the DV is nothing to do with nationality - it's based on birthplace (not the same thing).

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Seems like there might be some changes on the eligible nationalities...I don't know if they will make any changes at this stage though.

U.S. admits nearly 10,000 from "terrorism" states

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01802.html
Nearly 10,000 people from countries designated as sponsors of terrorism have entered the United States under an immigration diversity program with relatively few restrictions, a report released on Friday said.The report quoted a U.S. security officer in Turkey as saying it would be possible for Iranian intelligence officers to pose as applicants and not be detected if their identities were not already known to U.S. intelligence.