ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time limit To apply for British passport after ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Trahman007

Time limit To apply for British passport after ceremony

Post by Trahman007 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 am

Hello
Quick question
After getting the citizenship certificate
Is there a time limit as to when I can apply for the british passport?
I was thinking of some time next year as i plan to go to Singapore for 1 year and then come back to the uk and apply.

Also do I need to send my original documents when I apply for the british passport
Is there an option where I can get my ordinal documents back within a few days?
I will be using the post office check and send

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Time limit To apply for British passport after ceremony

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:50 am

There isn't a time limit to apply for a passport, but you should be aware that some people traveling on their ILR BRPs after attending their citizenship ceremony, have found out that the ILR and BRP is no longer on the system as citizenship supersedes ILR.
Also do I need to send my original documents when I apply for the british passport Yes, all uncancelled passports and naturalisation certificate has to be sent.
Is there an option where I can get my ordinal documents back within a few days? No
I will be using the post office check and send Makes no difference, you still need to send originals.
It does not take months for a passport, roughly between 3 and 6 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 am

You may apply for a British passport at any time before you expire.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 pm

If Singapore allows Dual Citizenship you will get it back anyway with your documents after you apply for the actual passport

Trahman007

Post by Trahman007 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 pm

CR001 wrote:There isn't a time limit to apply for a passport, but you should be aware that some people traveling on their ILR BRPs after attending their citizenship ceremony, have found out that the ILR and BRP is no longer on the system as citizenship supersedes ILR.
Also do I need to send my original documents when I apply for the british passport Yes, all uncancelled passports and naturalisation certificate has to be sent.
Is there an option where I can get my ordinal documents back within a few days? No
I will be using the post office check and send Makes no difference, you still need to send originals.
It does not take months for a passport, roughly between 3 and 6 weeks.
Thanks for your all your input
Say I go to singapore and re enter the uk with my ilr and certificate of citizenship will immigration make a big fuss and can the refuse re entry (what's the worst they can do?)
I really need to travel on the 8th of July otherwise I would have waited .
One final question in all types application where my passport is needed (visa applications, landing cards etc) what do I put as my nationality british or the country of my passport or do I put british and give a copy of my citizenship certificate

Thanks in adavance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:51 pm

Say I go to singapore and re enter the uk with my ilr and certificate of citizenship will immigration make a big fuss and can the refuse re entry (what's the worst they can do?)
Should be ok, might just take a bit longer to come through immigration while they do whatever checks they need to do.
One final question in all types application where my passport is needed (visa applications, landing cards etc) what do I put as my nationality british or the country of my passport or do I put british and give a copy of my citizenship certificate
It depends, some places will only accept a passport others might accept your certificate of naturalisation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.