ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British nationality for child born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Odile95
Newly Registered

British nationality for child born in UK

Post by Odile95 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Hello, I know that this question has already been answered by many but I am still confused about it. I hope someone will be kind enough to assist me with this. So I am French and I have been living in the UK since 1987. I have 2 boys respectively born in 1992 and 2000 in London. They both are French but decided that they also want to acquire British nationality. I am told that they are automatically British as I have been in the country 5 years prior their birth. Could someone guide me with this? Also will I need to pay the fees for both of them? Mant thanks

noajthan

Re: British nationality for child born in UK

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Odile95 wrote:Hello, I know that this question has already been answered by many but I am still confused about it. I hope someone will be kind enough to assist me with this. So I am French and I have been living in the UK since 1987. I have 2 boys respectively born in 1992 and 2000 in London. They both are French but decided that they also want to acquire British nationality. I am told that they are automatically British as I have been in the country 5 years prior their birth. Could someone guide me with this? Also will I need to pay the fees for both of them? Mant thanks
I think first child will have to apply in own right as an adult as they are now over 18 years old.

Depending on precise birthdate for second child, he/she may be British automatically, if you were exercising EC Treaty rights at the time.
If born later in 2000 it will depend if you had ILR in UK.

If you are now settled (with ILR or have EEA free movement rights for past 5 years) they could have entitlement to be registered.

If your younger child has lived first 10 years of their life in UK there may be an option to register even if you are not settled - a section 1(4) application.

To be registered an application is necessary & a fee is payable.
Application for a British passport is possible once successfuly registered as a citizen (or once naturalised, if an adult).

See Children of EEA Nationals section of this guide (page 7+):
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2015.pdf

Bon chance.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:04 am

If you were born in the UK or a qualifying territory wrote:If your parents are citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 but before 2 October 2000, you are a British citizen if, at the time of your birth, either of your parents was an EEA citizen who was exercising Treaty rights under European Community (EC) law. This is because your parent's stay is regarded as having been free of a time limit under immigration laws.

Since 2 October 2000, EEA citizens who have a conditional right of residence in the UK (such as workers and businesspeople) are not automatically regarded as free of a time limit under the immigration laws.

Between 2 October 2000 and 29 April 2006, EEA citizens would not be regarded as free of time limit under immigration laws until they had obtained indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm

If you have decided (based on above) your sons are already British you can cut to the chase:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_4_14.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Odile95
Newly Registered

Post by Odile95 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Thank you for replying to my queries. I think I can exerce treaty rights for both of my children. I have the necessary proofs ie P45 . Where do I send all the documentation and in that case do I have to pay £1000+ fees for the older child and a another fee for the 15 year old? Thank you

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm

What were their dates of birth?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Odile95
Newly Registered

Post by Odile95 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi Vinny, my eldest boy was born on the 2/8/92 and the second on the 21/7/00

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Both may be automatically British.

Odile95
Newly Registered

Post by Odile95 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 pm

I am confused Vinny and I don't know where to get my answers. I have been told by some that they need to ask and pay for citizenship but also by others, that they both already British because of my status in UK prior to their birth. Where to ask?

vishal123

Post by vishal123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 pm

I need help please I am on tier 1 general and my ilr is due in 2016. I am also be eligible for ilr under long term residence (10 year rule) before that.1) is it ok for me to apply for ilr under long term residence .
My daughter recently born in UK do I need to apply her with my wife FLRM OR CAN I APPLY FOR HER BRITISH REGISTRATION.
THANK YOU

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 am

Odile95 wrote:I am confused Vinny and I don't know where to get my answers. I have been told by some that they need to ask and pay for citizenship but also by others, that they both already British because of my status in UK prior to their birth. Where to ask?
Apply for confirmation of British nationality status (Fees) for both children.