ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Student Visa curtailed due to placement year? WHAT?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lollipop505
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Student Visa curtailed due to placement year? WHAT?

Post by lollipop505 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 am

Hi there,

This is old news as it has been a while since I received my curtailment letter. Just wanted to find out what went wrong.

Here's my story:
I spent 2 years at this University and for my third year, I, with many peers (from the UK) decided to take a placement year. My University does this DPP program so you get a diploma in professional practice as long as you have completed the assignments (reports) through out the year you go on placement. Basically, we could do anything we wanted and anywhere we wanted to do it, obviously more preferably with relation to your course of study. And then return to do final year.

So I decided to return to my home country anyway because it was summer and I didn't want to spend that much money in the UK when I could just be home. I took up a job while waiting for my placement to start. And in September 2014, apparently emails went around to get everyone who was away on placement to enrol. But the email didn't reach me. Then I think in October or November, an urgent email came around to a few of us who hadn't got the previous email, to enrol with the University as soon as possible. At this point, I still couldn't enrol, maybe because I was an international student etc. So I emailed my lecturer explaining my problems with enrolment and he said he'd get back to me after he checks up on it.

So time went by, I was awaiting his reply anyway but to no avail. And then at the start of January 2015, I received a curtailment letter from Home Office saying that my Visa would be curtailed in March 2015 (initially was 2017). I was in a disarray, I emailed my lecturer (who didn't give me a reply regarding my enrolment) and other staff members of the University. There was some conflict with their replies mainly because I think they haven't met with such a case before.

1) I wasn't informed about this ruling while holding this Visa and doing a placement outside of the UK
2) I STILL wasn't enrolled at that point of time (January 2015)

I did ask if my Visa was curtailed BECAUSE I wasn't enrolled (then this would bring fault to my lecturer) but one staff mentioned that I was curtailed because I WASN'T in the UK/ university. Meaning EVEN IF I had enrolled with intention of doing a placement outside of the UK, my Visa will STILL be curtailed? Sounds ridiculous to me. My lecturer knew of all my plans to do a placement outside of the UK yet he failed to inform the staff or whatever resulting in the curtailment. And the placement IS considered part of my study so why then was I subjected to this curtailment? I finally successfully enrolled in mid-January 2015.

Anybody has a better explanation than my university? Lol. I am now in the process of arranging for another CAS to be issued from my University and have to spend another 300 pounds on a new Visa...

riz1986

Re: Tier 4 Student Visa curtailed due to placement year? WHA

Post by riz1986 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:57 pm

first of all universities are extremely cautious abt immigration rules and they don't even give a benefit of doubt to international students that's y whn dey find out u didn't enrol dey informed HO straightaway.

Secondly u shld hv informed ur placement office/releven department in ur university abt ur plans etc n get an approval to do ur placement abroad.

Regarding enrolment it was ur fault you shld be aware checked ur emails and hv enrolled on time. u can't just rely on lecturer's email.

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:33 pm

in addition to what the other poster has said. international students are required to re-enrol every semester.
moreover I am also not sure about the e-mail story as you have illustrated, because the university sends e-mail to the University email address and the Private/personal e-mail. how come you have missed both.
secondly, how come the university did not get back or the tutor did not get back? and you did not re-send the e-mail to them.

anyway, what has happened has happened, now if the university has agreed to give you a cas this means that you are fine and you shall return.

good luck

lollipop505
Newly Registered

Post by lollipop505 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:26 am

Thank you all for the input. I understand that it is indeed misfortune that I didn't enrol BECAUSE we were not informed to do so; I do check both mailboxes regularly.

Anyway, the main point was to ask if anyone had similar experiences/ explanations for a curtailment of Visa while part of the study is outside of UK - My placement tutor was rightly informed of my placement plans as I contacted him prior to enrolment in September 2014 to provide documentation and approve of my placement with my placement organisation.

Otherwise, I appreciate all of your advice, have a good year!