ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gemology

Spouse visa application

Post by gemology » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 am

Hi everyone,

I have one single question which I can't find a recent answer to having searched the forums.

My Fiancee and I have made our final decision regarding visas. We have booked to get married in just over a month in her home country (USA) and have an informal reception with all her family. We will then apply for a spouse visa.

We have been in a relationship for 7.5 months and my visit to marry will be my third visit to her. She is not able to visit the UK due to a failed Visitor Visa application (they thought she would overstay because of me and due to not having strong enough ties to the US).

We can't bear being apart and want to submit our spouse visa application on our wedding day if possible, before I leave to come back to the UK. My key concern is how UKVI would view this immediate application after being married - could it negatively affect the application even if we supply all the necessary evidence (which I am confident that we can do)?

Your opinions/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: How soon to submit spouse visa application after marriag

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 pm

You can submit the application as soon as you are married, as long as you also submit evidence of a genuine relationship.
The condition is that you have met face to face prior to marrying.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

gemology

Paperless banking & bank statement evidence

Post by gemology » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi All,

I keep reading differing advice regarding bank statements.

I have online paperless banking; as such I do not receive original bank statements. I can however print them off from my online banking system and they look exactly like a normal bank statement on headed paper etc. except they have a 'duplicate' watermark.

Do I need to have these statements stamped or signed or something by my bank to say they are genuine?

The same goes for my payslips. I work for local government, but my payslips are just printed on an A4 piece of paper (albeit with the organisation's logo etc.). Even if I send the originals it will look like I just printed them.

Do I need to have HR or my manager sign to verify that they are genuine too?

With the ridiculous overall cost of the spouse visa application + health surcharge now, I really don't want to have my partner's application rejected over something trivial.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Paperless banking & bank statement evidence

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Yes. I would get both bank statements & payslips stamped and certified as genuine by bank & employer respectively. I haven't read the latest guidance, but I did this for all my previous visa applications (as it was stated as required at the time) after everything changed to environment friendly paperless statements.

gemology

Post by gemology » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks for your response.

So can I just walk into the local branch of my bank, go up to the desk with my printed 'duplicate' statements and tell them I need them certified for a visa application and they will know what I'm talking about?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Get the bank to print the statements and stamp them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:19 pm

It can vary from bank to bank, so I would check with them first. I remember for one application I submitted statements from Natwest, they would only certify statements that they had printed out themselves. However for a application I made last year, I needed statements from Santander. They asked me to printout the online statements & bring them (with my debit card) to the branch to certify.

gemology

Post by gemology » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Ok, thank you both for the advice :)

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Or you can request additional statements from the bank to be posted to you. Some banks may charge a fee for this.

What I did for change my preference to postal statements for the period needed and after applying, I will probably change it back to online statements.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

gemology

Post by gemology » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks for the suggestions WR1. I'll be applying soon so won't be able to switch to paper bills and wait.

I'll look into ordering additional 'original' statements from my bank as well, thank you :)

gemology

Spouse visa sponsor - 12 month employment contract

Post by gemology » Sun May 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi All,

I recently got married in the US and my wife and I are working on a spouse visa application for her to join me in the UK.

I work in the public sector and due to all the funding cuts, staff in my organisation are now only given employment contracts with a fixed duration, rather than permanent.

My job has been extended until 31st March 2016. Although it is likely that my contract will be renewed after this date, I have no proof.

The question is, will the ECO see an issue with my contract ending next March? I easily satisfy the financial requirements and have about the same amount again in savings, which I can evidence as required.

I'm hoping my 12 month contract won't jeapordise her application.

Any information gratefully received. Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa sponsor - 12 month employment contract

Post by Casa » Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 pm

There won't be an issue. Submit your contract + a letter from your employer on company headed paper, confirming your salary and position.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

gemology

Post by gemology » Sun May 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks very much for the reply Casa.

After a lengthy email debate my employer has agreed to write me a letter with the necessary details and to stamp my payslips. Whether they actually do it remains to be seen!

It's of even greater importance because they don't sign my employment contract, only I do. They refuse to sign it for me despite my situation because it is 'not procedure'.

I do have a signed letter which accompanies my contract stating that it has been extended to March 2016 though.

This isn't likely to be a problem is it?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 24, 2015 10:35 pm

It will be fine.
(Casa, not CR001)

gemology

Post by gemology » Mon May 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks Casa :)

gemology

Spouse visa 28 day evidence rule

Post by gemology » Mon May 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi All,

Very quick question, which I haven't quite found a definitive answer to from searching the forum...

For the financial information etc which is subject to the 28 day rule, when exactly are the 28 days counted from?

Is it the date that the online application is submitted?

Thank you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa 28 day evidence rule

Post by Amber » Mon May 25, 2015 4:47 pm

The date in which you make the application, yes.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Cherrie
Newly Registered

Post by Cherrie » Mon May 25, 2015 10:45 pm

From day one as dated on the last payslip and bank statement to the date of application submission (payment date).

gemology

Post by gemology » Wed May 27, 2015 9:40 am

Thank you very much :)

gemology

Does US misdemeanour count as criminal conviction?

Post by gemology » Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 am

Hi All,

My new wife and I are considering paying for the priority service when we submit our spouse visa as we are so tired of being apart.

The UKVI website states that priority processing is only for straight forward cases, otherwise our application will just join the general queue despite our extra payment.

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether our application is likely to be straight forward or not.

My wife, a US citizen (whom I recently married in the US) has a misdemeanour for selling alcohol to an underage person. This is about a year old and has all been settled and the fine paid. She has all the documentation relating to this, which we submitted with our (failed) visitor visa application. Does this count as a criminal conviction? Is it likely to make our application 'complex' for the ECO?

We have a failed General Visitor Visa application, decision received about 4 months ago. The visa was refused due to her not demonstrating enough funds or ties to the US. Plus the fact that I was her partner of course. Pretty straightforward reasons - but would this complicate the spouse visa application?

I satisfy all the requirements as sponsor and can supply all the required documentation. I have visited the US 3 times during our 9 month relationship and have plenty of photos and facebook evidence of meeting and getting on well with her family (in addition to viber, skype, travel records etc.). We got married on 13th May and have plenty of photos of the small informal reception and service conducted by a Judge.

Obviously I don't want to pay the fee for priority service if we are likely to be bumped down and still have to endure the long wait for an answer. Any input you guys could give would be fantastic.

Thank you.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Does US misdemeanour count as criminal conviction?

Post by physicskate » Wed May 27, 2015 11:00 am

Any previous refusal is reason enough for the application to be considered complex. The waits these days aren't that long... several weeks. Remember, applications from the US are sent directly to Sheffield (the website used to be really misleading about sending things to New York, not sure if it still is).

gemology

Post by gemology » Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks for your reply Physicskate.

This wasn't the news we were hoping for, but no point going for priority if it's certain that the visa refusal is going to be an issue.

Yes I am aware that the documents will go to Sheffield for the spouse visa but thanks for the reminder. I thought the wait times were more like 60 days for the spouse visa. When we applied for the visitor visa (albeit to NY), we waited twice as long as the specified timescale they gave us for a response. Anything more than a few days feels like too much for us right now :(

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed May 27, 2015 5:19 pm

gemology wrote:Thanks for your reply Physicskate.

This wasn't the news we were hoping for, but no point going for priority if it's certain that the visa refusal is going to be an issue.

Yes I am aware that the documents will go to Sheffield for the spouse visa but thanks for the reminder. I thought the wait times were more like 60 days for the spouse visa. When we applied for the visitor visa (albeit to NY), we waited twice as long as the specified timescale they gave us for a response. Anything more than a few days feels like too much for us right now :(
Timelines over at UK-Yankee (which are all about US to UK moves) indicate turnaround time is about a month...

gemology

Company offering survey without visiting property!

Post by gemology » Sat May 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi All,

I'm on a quest to find a decent company to do my property survey for me.

Came across Company Name who said on their website that they send surveyors out but having enquired, they charge £60 for the report, and I have to send them all the info.

Not sure whether the ECOs are likely to frown on this or not. I asked the company whether it would satisfy the visa evidence requirements and they say it does...their response is below...

"In regards to your questions, no an inspector doesn't need to come out to inspect the property we will do some independent checks from our office to see if the information is correct. The information we require is:

- Full Address of the property
- Type of property (Semi/Terraced/Detached?)
- Full name and DOB of Sponsor
- Full name of the person coming over, DOB and which country they're
coming from?

- Is the house owned/rented, do you have a tenancy agreement? If owned,
who by?

· List of rooms on the ground floor and rough measurements

· List of rooms on the first floor and rough measurements

- Names and DOB's of people staying at the property"

I don't have a problem with supplying the information but will the report be alright or not? What do you guys think?

Any alternative suggestions are welcome. Need to move fast as I plan to submit the spouse visa application at the end of the month.

Thank you :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Company offering survey without visiting property!

Post by CR001 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Do you rent the property or do you own the property? If you rent, what does your tenancy agreement say about the size of the property?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.