ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for naturalization.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MK123
United Kingdom

English language requirement for naturalization.

Post by MK123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:04 am

Hello

I am applying for my naturalization this month, I am a little confused with the English language requirement. I got my ILR in June 2014.

The AN Booklet from June 2015 says the below -
---------
1. Have passed the Life in the UK test;
AND EITHER
2. a. Have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR
b. Have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country other than Canada; OR
c. Are a national of a majority English speaking country.
---------

I have passed the Life in UK test and have a degree certificate and letter from university mentioning the degree is taught in English and can also get a PBS calculator printout which recognises my degree.

Do I need to get the NARIC done in my case or can I follow the application form option which mentions
-- I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

ukswus

Re: English language requirement for naturalization.

Post by ukswus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:08 am

MK123 wrote:Hello

I am applying for my naturalization this month, I am a little confused with the English language requirement. I got my ILR in June 2014.

The AN Booklet from June 2015 says the below -
---------
1. Have passed the Life in the UK test;
AND EITHER
2. a. Have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR
b. Have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country other than Canada; OR
c. Are a national of a majority English speaking country.
---------

I have passed the Life in UK test and have a degree certificate and letter from university mentioning the degree is taught in English and can also get a PBS calculator printout which recognises my degree.

Do I need to get the NARIC done in my case or can I follow the application form option which mentions
-- I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

NARIC letter is not needed in your case.

Viewpoint

Post by Viewpoint » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:20 am

This is OK, shall we submit if we have a Degree + University letter along with NARIC certificate?

MK123
United Kingdom

Post by MK123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:31 am

Just read the AN Booklet Jun 2015 and saw the below statement in the exemption section for English language.

--If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK, on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to demonstrate it again.

I assume this will apply to me and others in similar situation ?