ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLM (R) Help Please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jamie177
Newly Registered

FLM (R) Help Please

Post by jamie177 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:18 am

My wife is on a FLR (M) Visa, this is her second period of 2 years due to expire in October 2015.
Can she apply for a 2 year extension or is this application limited to a number of times?

We don't have the money to get the SET (M) yet or the information on if she qualifys for this. (Also she doesn't have a life in UK qualification yet)

Thanks in advance

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: FLM (R) Help Please

Post by TODMATT » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 am

jamie177 wrote:My wife is on a FLR (M) Visa, this is her second period of 2 years due to expire in October 2015.
Can she apply for a 2 year extension or is this application limited to a number of times?

We don't have the money to get the SET (M) yet or the information on if she qualifys for this. (Also she doesn't have a life in UK qualification yet)

Thanks in advance
Are you based on the old rules or the new rules?? If you are going to apply for SET M, you need to meet the requirements such as Life in the UK Test and English Test in order to qualify for ILR. I will advise you to start saving now because October is in 4 months time rather than going through all those hassles to apply for another FLR(M) and your wife is going to pay Surcharge fees £500, However, if you applied for FLR(M) it will be granted if you meet the requirements.

I believe if you are going to apply for ILR then you do not need to pay the Surcharge fee.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

jamie177
Newly Registered

Post by jamie177 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 am

I don't know what rules we are on, what's the difference?
What's the £500 surcharge fee for?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:47 am

When did your wife submit her first application for a spouse settlement visa?
If you are applying another FLR(M) application, in addition to the £649 visa fee she will now have to pay £500 online for the new NHS Surcharge before submitting the application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

jamie177
Newly Registered

Post by jamie177 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 am

In august it will be 4 years since her first one (two 2 year ones)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 am

So the first visa was issued in August 2011, before the rules changed in July 2012. Why wasn't she granted a 2 year spouse visa which would mean she would have qualified for ILR in August 2013?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 am

jamie177 wrote:In august it will be 4 years since her first one (two 2 year ones)
Casa, I think she was.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:15 am

Ah thanks Vinny. Did you choose to extend with a FLR(M) application?
(Casa, not CR001)

jamie177
Newly Registered

Post by jamie177 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:17 am

This is her second FLR (M) visa that she is currently on

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:28 am

Vinny am I missing something here? Did your wife enter on a fiance visa, extend on FLR(M) after the wedding and then choose to apply for another FLR(M) visa because she didn't meet the requirements for ILR? And you now want to extend again? i.e This will be her 3rd FLR(M) visa?
(Casa, not CR001)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am

I think this will be her third FLR(M).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jamie177
Newly Registered

Post by jamie177 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:40 am

Yes this is correct.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm

You can apply again for a further extension, but be aware that without payment for the NHS surcharge the application will be refused.
I'm assuming your wife passed an A1 level English test before applying for her last FLR(M) application?
(Casa, not CR001)

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:05 pm

I understand you don't have enough money but why can't you just apply for ILR for your wife because if you apply for ILR then you do not need to pay the Surcharge fees

the FLR(M) fee is £649 and surcharge is £500 for the 2 and half years = 1149 and ILR is £1500 just £351

Good luck

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:24 pm

The OP's wife hasn't pass the Life in the UK test. She will also need B1 level English for ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Hmm you are right @casa