ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching jobs under a tier 2 visa. Possible? Risks?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chssvi

Switching jobs under a tier 2 visa. Possible? Risks?

Post by chssvi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:50 am

Hi all. I had posted a similar topic under the ILR forum but recent developments may make it more appropriate for this one.

My wife an I have been in the UK for almost 5 years now under a Tier 2 general migrant visa sponsored by my current employer.

I had a job interview at another place yesterday and, if it all goes well, they'll want to take me. I told them that I was applying for the ILR in October but they seem eager to have someone starting ASAP. I'm quite keen on that job so I wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity.

Actually, they had already approached me 1.5 years ago. Back then they said that they would take care of the visa and everything but my current employer made me a counter offer and, to be honest, at the time I valued the stability to get me to the 5 years/ILR more than anything else so I stayed.

Has anyone switched jobs under a tier 2 visa? Is it feasible? Any potential risks? Also, any potential implications for my impending ILR application?

Thanks!

talk2ram.28
BANNED

Re: Switching jobs under a tier 2 visa. Possible? Risks?

Post by talk2ram.28 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:03 pm

As long as the sponsor is genuine and there is a genuine vacancy it must be fine. Hope it is the same SOC code or it can be even different SOC within same stream.(Eg 2133- 2139 is IT stream and you can apply for change in employment within these).

Only thing to note is that your old employer must give you a letter certifying that all your vacation has been paid leave which you need to submit when applying for ILR. Make sure you have a good rapport with them.

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. The organisation is reputable. It's actually a national regulator. Not sure it would be the same SOC code though. The tasks would be the same but given that I would be moving from a consulting firm to a regulator, I imagine they would be different.

I had indeed thought of this thing about the letter from my current employer, not just because of the holidays but because I had to do quite a bit of international travel for work. I'm probably jumping ahead but I wonder if I should get this letter when I leave or get in touch again before applying for the ILR to make sure that the date is recent.

Thanks again

talk2ram.28
BANNED

Post by talk2ram.28 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:04 pm

I don't think the letter needs to be recent(1 month before ILR Application). You can get it at the end of your employment.

venkatasureshs

Post by venkatasureshs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Yes, You can get it at end of your current employment..

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks a lot for your replies!