ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conjugal Visa?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ChristopherP
Newly Registered

Conjugal Visa?

Post by ChristopherP » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Hello.

I'm new here but have been reading quite a few of the posts, especially in the Canadian Immigration Forum, and the members here seem quite knowledgeable. So I decided to post asking a few questions, as it's a lot cheaper than paying an Immigration Advisor! I hope that doesn't seem too cheeky! It's true, though, they cost alot!

Anyway, to the questions.

I've been dating a Canadian girl I met online (how else does one meet a girl from Canada, when they live in the UK?) for a little over 3 years now, although we only started visiting eachother a few months back... Last time I stayed, I stayed for 4 months, planning on going again in December for 6, as that's the limit for a British Citizen, I believe. (If I'm wrong, tell me please.)

However, it was VERY hard to leave her when I did, for both of us... Infact, I was originally meant to stay for just 3 months, but when the time came to leave... we bought a ticket for a later date instead, as we just couldn't bare to be apart. The only reason I left now was because it's the start of her 2nd year in University and she wants to be able to focus on it...

The reason I'm going again in December, for 6 months, regardless of the fact that she's still obviously in University is, well, after returning to England, though, and being apart, she'd rather I was there and a slight distraction, than away and, well... not there.

So ANYWAY! The question! (Just thought I'd give you a little back story?)

I've looked into (alot over the last 3 years) immigration to Canada, the various different ways of going about it, etc, and the easiest way seems to be Spousal Sponsorship. She's fine sponsoring me, and is certainly able to, however, of the three ways she can sponsor me as a spouse (Married, Common-Law, and Conjugal), there's only one, I believe, we qualify for.

We cannot qualify for being Married, as we've not lived together for 12 months or more, and we're not married... We want our wedding to be a day to remember for the rest of our lives, so we're not going to get married in a grotty little office just for a visa... Plus, she gets OSAP for her University studies, and I believe being married would effect it. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong about anything so far.)

Not living together for 12 months also means we cannot qualify for Common-Law status, I believe. This is because, ofcourse, I am only able to stay there for 6 months at a time, and if I repeatedly went to Canada for 6 month periods, they'd deny me access to the country, just as any other country would. (Right? It happened to my sister and America, but I suppose it could be alot different there.)

So that leaves Conjugal... I'm a little confused about what we have to do in order to qualify for this one... This is where I need the most help.

1a.) Do we first need proof that we cannot live together for 12 months? (By that, I mean...)
1b.) Do I first have to be denied access to the country due to too many repeated visits, or would it just be accepted that we cannot due to visa/immigration laws preventing us from being together for that period of time?

2a.) Does that fact that she's in University add advantage or disadvantage to our application for a conjugal sponsorship?
2b.) If it does add a disadvantage, how bad of a disadvantage is it? (I don't want her to leave University, and wouldn't ask her to.)

3a.) What's the best way to go about starting up this application?
3b.) Where would we start up this application?
3c.) Do we have to start it separately, each in our own country?
3d.) I read that I need to apply as a Permanent Resident as part of our application for her to sponsor me as a Conjugal Partner, how do I go about doing this?
3e.) Do I need to apply for Permanent Residency before or after the application for sponsorship has been sent off?
3f.) Can I be in Canada while our application for sponsorship is being processed?
3g.) Can I be in Canada whilst my application for Permanent Residency is being processed?
3h.) If I cannot, can I still visit while the applications are being processed, for the same periods of time I want to (4-6 months) or would immigration be cautious about letting me in for such a long time while I am applying for Permanent Residency?

4a.) I read it takes 3-8 months usually for the application(s) to be complete... Is that time-frame just the sponsorship application, or the combined time for both the sponsorship application and the Permanent Residency application?
4b.) If the times are different, how long (on average) does it take to process and complete BOTH applications?

I believe that's all I need to ask for now...

Sorry I posted so much, but I really love her, and she really loves me... We just want to be together and don't understand why it's so hard to be.

A few side notes, incase this information bares any importance pertaining to our application:

1.) I'm 20 turning 21, and she's 19, turning 20.
2.) I'm British (English) born and bred, she's Canadian (Ontario, not Quebec) born.
3.) We've both citizens of our respective countries.
4.) I am unable to come in via a Skilled Worker Visa as I have no completed College nor University, as I had alot (ALOT!) of issues surrounding my family over the course of time I was meant to be going, thus was unable to go.

My plan to deal with NO.4, so no one thinks I want to just mooch off of welfare, is to work as soon as I can, in Canada, and go to a College, such as Mohawk, to learn a trade. Something in Engineering, perhaps, so that my employment prospects grow dramatically. I'm highly intelligent, atleast, that's what people have said, and hate sitting around doing nothing.

As far as I'm aware, I'll be able to work as soon as our application for sponsorship and my application for Permanent Residency are both granted. If I can work sooner than that, or if I'm totally wrong about that, please let me know.

Thank you for any and all help you might provide me.

ChristopherP
Newly Registered

Post by ChristopherP » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had any thought on my questions yet.

I'm being a little impatient, perhaps, it having been only three days since I made the post, but I would really like some help on this matter, as it means a great deal to me.

Thanks again.

spark64
Newly Registered

Post by spark64 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:10 am

well, i think you can do it... I can just give you an example: my wife sister come to visit as in Toronto 2.5 years ago, stay here for 3 month, meet the guy, got married without living Canada, got her PR status in about 5 month and live happily ever after... so it's all up to You really.