ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help and advice

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adiraian
Newly Registered

Help and advice

Post by adiraian » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi

I am an Indian National who applied recently for Naturalisation ( AN).I have sent my Indian passport together with the biometric ILR card,my question here is now as the application is still in process if I wanted to travel can i ask HO to send my passport and ILR card back to perform the travel or not? if i ask for those will my application will valid or not?

any advice would really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Adi.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Help and advice

Post by fwd079 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:47 pm

adiraian wrote:Hi

I am an Indian National who applied recently for Naturalisation ( AN).I have sent my Indian passport together with the biometric ILR card,my question here is now as the application is still in process if I wanted to travel can i ask HO to send my passport and ILR card back to perform the travel or not? if i ask for those will my application will valid or not?

any advice would really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Adi.
Should have gone through Nationality Checking Service.

Now you can request the documents back, but could be tricky since citizenship is a privilege not a right ( page 8 ) so it is possible they'd either postpone your application for a long time, or just return application back to you, both ways your money is non-refundable. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:24 am

Typical.

Apply for citizenshi, and then suddenly need to travel.

Why not do all travelling, and then apply.

(this is anti venom)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:08 am

PrestonLancs wrote:Typical.

(this is anti venom)
Situations change and the OP's travel may be for compassionate reasons.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

adiraian
Newly Registered

Post by adiraian » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Thank you for your advice.

Thank you Casa for understanding :P

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Request them from here. Answer no to the question Do you want to withdraw the application?. Travelling is not a reason for them to cancel your application.

RR17

Post by RR17 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:16 pm

(this is anti venom)
we only look for right advices but not uncapable comments..Please advice if you can , but no other comments required..

adiraian
Newly Registered

Post by adiraian » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 pm

RR17 wrote:

(this is anti venom)
we only look for right advices but not uncapable comments..Please advice if you can , but no other comments required..

:D :D :D :D

hicong
Newly Registered

Post by hicong » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello, I'm a 17 year old Chinese national who was born in the UK to chinese parents and I've lived there for the entirety of my life. Since my birth we acquired indefinite leave to remain around 2005 and I have completed education in Scotland achieving Highers including English.

Is it possible for my parents who are not british citizens nor planning on becoming british citizens to apply for british citizenship for me under Section 1 (3) in the guide https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2015.pdf ?

Thanks.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm

hicong wrote:Hello, I'm a 17 year old Chinese national who was born in the UK to chinese parents and I've lived there for the entirety of my life. Since my birth we acquired indefinite leave to remain around 2005 and I have completed education in Scotland achieving Highers including English.

Is it possible for my parents who are not british citizens nor planning on becoming british citizens to apply for british citizenship for me under Section 1 (3) in the guide https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2015.pdf ?

Thanks.
Yes, if they are settled ie they have ILR too.
entitlement to register when their parents become settled in the UK (or become British citizens)

If they are not settled
(and will not become settled) you would still have the option under BNA 1(4) as you have lived here from birth (more than) 10 years.
If a child lives in the United Kingdom for the first 10 years of his or her life, an application can be made under section 1(4), even if the parents are not settled.
Best of luck 8)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

hicong
Newly Registered

Post by hicong » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Many thanks for your time and detailed answer! They are indeed settled.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:42 pm

hicong,
the Forum FAQs may help you too - see 'Children' section:
british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... 95747.html

As your parents settled since your birth you have an automatic entitlement to citizenship.
Good luck.

hicong
Newly Registered

Post by hicong » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:05 pm

A quick question,

british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... 95747.html says I need the original passport to be sent - I am hoping to go on holiday soon, do you know the timescale on which they return passports? Is a chinese marriage certificate enough for the requirement? That is the only one my parents have.

In addition to this my 18th birthday is on the 25th of August, should I be worried about my application becoming invalid if i send it this week?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 pm

hicong wrote:A quick question,

british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... 95747.html says I need the original passport to be sent - I am hoping to go on holiday soon, do you know the timescale on which they return passports? Is a chinese marriage certificate enough for the requirement? That is the only one my parents have.

In addition to this my 18th birthday is on the 25th of August, should I be worried about my application becoming invalid if i send it this week?
Ah, if you are nearly 18 you need to be careful & really focus on this :!:

fyi - as a minor, under age 18, you 'register' for citizenship; (form MN1).
At 18 or over you 'naturalise' as a citizen; (form AN).

The rules & requirements for the minors & adults paths are different :!:
For example, adults need to do the LITUK test & prove English proficiency (etc).

I really suggest you make this first your priority and submit the application asap before you turn 18. :!:

The timeline could be up to 6 months (or more).
For example, my daughter's MN1 application was processed in approx 4 months.
Her first British passport application then took approx 3 weeks (after the naturalisation).

Note: You can apply using your local council's 'NCS' service.
They will help validate your application & forward it to HO.
The main thing is you get to keep your passport as they make a certified copy of all documents & send those to HO.
The fee for this service is quite reasonable, maybe £50--; (it varies depending on the council).

The naturalisation rules changed recently, so you will also need to submit new biometrics.
This means you need to be available in UK to do that (& within a strict timeline).
Again it means be careful about travel plans even if you do use NCS and keep hold of your passport :!:

Finally, yes a Chinese marriage certificate should be acceptable.
You may have to get a certified translated copy if it is written in only a Chinese language.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:30 pm

noajthan wrote:Ah, if you are nearly 18 you need to be careful & really focus on this :!:
I concur with noajthan. The day you turn 18, you will lose the entitlement you have to become a British citizen and will need to meet all the requirements that adults need to become a British citizen.

As mentioned above, you will need to be in the UK to submit your biometrics. I would prioritize the the application above all else, including any holidays you plan. You can always take a holiday later. You will not be eligible for registration as of right again.

The NCS is a good idea as well.

As regards the marriage certificate, if your mother has ILR, a marriage certificate may not be necessary (mater semper est). But carry it to the NCS anyway and they can advise you further about it. If it is required, it may require a certified translation.

hicong
Newly Registered

Post by hicong » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 pm

If my birthday is on the 25th of August and I submit the application within the week and I turn 18 during the process of the application which seems likely am I still able to be considered under the same application?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:05 pm

hicong wrote:If my birthday is on the 25th of August and I submit the application within the week and I turn 18 during the process of the application which seems likely am I still able to be considered under the same application?
To be processed according to the regulations for a minor, you have to be a minor on the date of application (which is the date the HO receives the application).

I would allow more than a week's grace period to allow time to get a NCS appointment & for the delivery time to HO.
Also note: if there was any delay in collecting your fee the date of application may be pushed back & you could risk missing the window for that reason.

fyi - if you become 18 by the time the application is processed & approved you will be invited to a naturalisation ceremony to receive your naturalisation certificate.
(Minors don't have a ceremony unless attending with parents who have also been naturalised at the same time).