ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

leaving uk after passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

leaving uk after passport

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi all

I have a question.. i am due to apply for naturalisation soon.. but my company wants me to move to canada for few years....

Ofcourse i dont want to miss the opportunity to get uk citizenship as i intend to return here... but is there a clause that may stop us from moving out immidiately after getting uk passport ?

What happens wen i come back after say 2-3 years will i still be accepted as uk citizen or will i have to face some questions at immigration? ?

Thanks

boloney

Re: leaving uk after passport

Post by boloney » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Did you read AN forn at all?
They asking what is your intention after getting BC, I can imagine they expect to see one of the UK members there.
You can say you will be moving to Canada and than coming back to the UK in few years and see what they will do.
If you state on the form something whats not true than according to them they can get you prosecuted.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 pm

I think after getting UK passport there is no limit on absence from UK and nobody will stop on return for working abroad.

boloney

Post by boloney » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Universal soldier wrote:I think after getting UK passport there is no limit on absence from UK and nobody will stop on return for working abroad.
there is no limit but they asking on the form what is your intension, where would you like to live in future.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 pm

boloney wrote:
Universal soldier wrote:I think after getting UK passport there is no limit on absence from UK and nobody will stop on return for working abroad.
there is no limit but they asking on the form what is your intension, where would you like to live in future.

Yea my intentions r to b here in uk ofcourse, all my serup is here anyway.. just wanting to be sure

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:20 pm

boloney wrote:
Human intentions are always changeable depending on better chance/opportunity.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Unlike ILR, which expires if you do not return within two years, there is no limit on the amount of time you can spend outside the country as a British citizen.

As a British citizen, you have the right of abode in the UK and the immigration officer can not question you on when you return. His duty is to make sure of your identity. They may be issues if you are on an international terrorist watchlist, but even then, you will be detained in a prison here and not be deported.

If you are in Canada for five years, I believe that you can also get Canadian permanent residency and then Canadian citizenship. You can hold both simultaneously.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:41 pm

secret.simon wrote:Unlike ILR, which expires if you do not return within two years, there is no limit on the amount of time you can spend outside the country as a British citizen.

As a British citizen, you have the right of abode in the UK and the immigration officer can not question you on when you return. His duty is to make sure of your identity. They may be issues if you are on an international terrorist watchlist, but even then, you will be detained in a prison here and not be deported.

If you are in Canada for five years, I believe that you can also get Canadian permanent residency and then Canadian citizenship. You can hold both simultaneously.
This sounds logical... but 5 yrs is too long my assignment won't be that long...

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:01 am

After you obtain the British Citizenship you can go wherever you want. Just don't open a tin of worms by mention in AN form that you are moving to Canada. Simply they can reject your application as you don't meet the future intention to live in UK condition or ask you for an interview to dig inside your mind. So to be in the safe side keep your AN form simple for the caseworker.

Smam

Post by Smam » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Manchester171 wrote:After you obtain the British Citizenship you can go wherever you want. Just don't open a tin of worms by mention in AN form that you are moving to Canada. Simply they can reject your application as you don't meet the future intention to live in UK condition or ask you for an interview to dig inside your mind. So to be in the safe side keep your AN form simple for the caseworker.

Beautiful advice excellent advice

Ukba only knows what we tell them they haven't got a crystal ball to see what's in persons mind or what's their future intentions.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:43 pm

muditmalhotra wrote: This sounds logical... but 5 yrs is too long my assignment won't be that long...
Then you dont have to worry, since you will be returning to UK anyway, so just put on AN form the country you'd be making your home on your return (England/Scotland/Northern Ireland/Wales). Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.