ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student CSI gap

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Trava
Newly Registered

Student CSI gap

Post by Trava » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:07 am

Hello,
I've read several similar topics and tried to research as much as possible but I'm really devastated right now and trying to get any sort of indication if my situation is as helpless as it seems it is.

I am an EEA national. I have lived in the UK since May/June 2012. I worked full time until October 2014 for almost the whole time (minus maybe about 2 months when I was between jobs/travelling/visiting home country). In October I started a 4 year MEng course at a university in England and last month started a summer job.

I was reading a residence application a few days ago and noticed the CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) requirement. I have purchased one now, but it doesn't change the fact that I was not insured for the period of 8 months I was studying and in between jobs. Does this mean that the three years I've lived in the UK by now will not count if I want to apply for Permanent Residence? Or is there a chance they will overlook those 8 months if I have CSI for the remaining 3 years of my course (including the periods when I'm working during summer), considering I have paid national insurance for over two years prior to starting the course?

I'm a STEM student at one of the very top UK universities, which is what would seem this country wants. Would that have any weight for my application for permanent residence?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Student CSI gap

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:45 pm

CSI is not required when an EU national is working but for EU national students and self sufficient person it is a mandatory requirement. Without CSI the relevant period (if student/self sufficient) won't be counted which later on cannot be refilled unless excerising some different mode of treaty rights during such period. I think if you had EHIC from your own country during that period then you may argue to have CSI during those 8 months.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS