ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK SETTLEMENT VISA IN OLD PASSPORT BUT STILL VALID

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dionbell
Newly Registered

UK SETTLEMENT VISA IN OLD PASSPORT BUT STILL VALID

Post by dionbell » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:24 pm

I am a Zimbabwean national with a valid UK Settlement visa which allows me to live, work and remain in the UK INDEFINITELY.

My question is this: In my old passport which holds the UK Visa it says that the Visa is only valid until the 18/01/15 which is only stated because this is when the old passport expires. I currently have a new Zimbabwean passport and use this in conjuncture with the old one with the UK visa when leaving and entering the UK.

The problem is that when I went to apply for the Schengen visa for Austria on Monday they told me that they would not accept the visa because it had an expiry date even through they knew that it was an indefinite visa.They said my UK residency visa is expired and refused me the Schengen visa.

I can assure you that this is not the case and the it is very much valid. I would get a confirmation letter from the UK home office, but they don't offer such services.

I have been told to get a UK biometric residence card but this is very costly and I plan to visit Italy on the 26th of July and then Austria on the 1st of August and would not have the biometric card by then.

I have just come back from a trip to Spain where they were aware of this problem and said that they understood and gave me the Schengen visa.
I have scheduled an appointment with the Italian embassy for next Wednesday and hope they don't make the same excuse the Austrian embassy did.

Please could you let me know how to produce a document that will help my case in proving that my visa is valid and proven.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK SETTLEMENT VISA IN OLD PASSPORT BUT STILL VALID

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:01 pm

How long have you been in the UK?

What exactly does your visa say and dates does it state?

The ILR stickers in the passports did not have an expiry date. The expiry dates came into effect with the new BRPs a couple of years ago.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dionbell
Newly Registered

Post by dionbell » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:14 am

I have been in the UK for over 4 years now. Please have alook at the attached document. The red box is what the embassies are refusing to accept. I looked on gov.uk and there is a small section stating a setlement visa in an old passport is still valid for the uk.
Im going to print that out and try show the embassy on Wednesday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfs4svq8jupue ... t.jpg?dl=0

I hope this link works.

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm

See also ILE and 18A.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:14 am

dionbell wrote:I am a Zimbabwean national with a valid UK Settlement visa which allows me to live, work and remain in the UK INDEFINITELY.

My question is this: In my old passport which holds the UK Visa it says that the Visa is only valid until the 18/01/15 which is only stated because this is when the old passport expires. I currently have a new Zimbabwean passport and use this in conjuncture with the old one with the UK visa when leaving and entering the UK.

The problem is that when I went to apply for the Schengen visa for Austria on Monday they told me that they would not accept the visa because it had an expiry date even through they knew that it was an indefinite visa.They said my UK residency visa is expired and refused me the Schengen visa.

I can assure you that this is not the case and the it is very much valid. I would get a confirmation letter from the UK home office, but they don't offer such services.

I have been told to get a UK biometric residence card but this is very costly and I plan to visit Italy on the 26th of July and then Austria on the 1st of August and would not have the biometric card by then.

I have just come back from a trip to Spain where they were aware of this problem and said that they understood and gave me the Schengen visa.
I have scheduled an appointment with the Italian embassy for next Wednesday and hope they don't make the same excuse the Austrian embassy did.

Please could you let me know how to produce a document that will help my case in proving that my visa is valid and proven.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I know this solution is not the most appropriate but you can get Schengen again from Spain again and then go to Italy. There is no passport control with in Schengen. Most of the time they don't even care about port of entry.

dionbell
Newly Registered

Post by dionbell » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your help!

My visa was approved :D and gave me 90 days to use in 6 months which is amazing.

Only thing they were not happy with was digital signatures. Make sure that all documents are original and pen signed.