ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship (EEA national) - with or without PR?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

spiedze
Newly Registered

British citizenship (EEA national) - with or without PR?

Post by spiedze » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi, I am about to apply for my British citizenship, but after reading all the posts am slightly unsure of what to do.

I am an EEA national, lived in UK for 6 and a half years. Got PR last month, thinking it would speed things up with my citizenship application.

However, I read in another thread that if you are applying with PR, you should apply 1 year after its issue date (even if you have been in the country the required length of time). Or apply without PR if you have been in UK for 6 or more years total.

Is that true, and has anyone had any similar experience?

Would I be refused if I applied with PR that is less than one year old? I am happy to provide all the evidence I submitted with my PR application... On the other hand, if I didn't submit my PR, they would still know I have it, wouldn't they?...

£1005 is a lot of money and I wouldn't want to waste it.

Thanks.

gumfree7

Re: British citizenship (EEA national) - with or without PR?

Post by gumfree7 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:04 pm

It really doesn't matter as long as you have sufficient proof that you have been here the required amount of time.

PR Cards in citizenship applications are just there to make things easier for the caseworker so they don't have to go through pages and pages of P60's, letters, etc. As once you have PR for one year and apply for citizenship you no longer have to submit any documents, just the PR card and passport (might also need to include birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc depending on your circumstances) I don't think they speed up the application processes anymore, but they used to apparently.

You can apply for a PR now and submit it with your application or not apply for one and submit the documents it won't make much of a difference really, except once you get your PR card at least you'll be in their database and have a HO reference number which you can use in your application.

But if you apply with a PR card that hasn't reached one year, don't forget to include a cover letter explaining that you've been here longer than the time specified on the PR and that you only took it out for peace of mind. :D

boloney

Post by boloney » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:16 am

if you gonna apply now (before 12 months passed from date on your PR card) don't send it as it may just make thinks complicated.
send the same documents that you have send with EEA3 application plus one more year.
You will have to prove again that you was exercising your treaty rights for 5 years and one more year after that you was living here.
so if you apply now you will have to send documents covering June 2009 up to date.

spiedze
Newly Registered

Post by spiedze » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:59 am

boloney wrote:if you gonna apply now (before 12 months passed from date on your PR card) don't send it as it may just make thinks complicated.
send the same documents that you have send with EEA3 application plus one more year.
Wouldn't they know anyway that they have issued me the PR document?

gumfree7

Post by gumfree7 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:55 am

spiedze wrote:
boloney wrote:if you gonna apply now (before 12 months passed from date on your PR card) don't send it as it may just make thinks complicated.
They would. As the PR Card you are issued will have the same HO reference on the letters as your citizenship application. :roll:

I'd say not including it if you have it would make things more suspicious for them.

boloney

Post by boloney » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:12 pm

gumfree7 wrote:
spiedze wrote:
They would. As the PR Card you are issued will have the same HO reference on the letters as your citizenship application. :roll:

I'd say not including it if you have it would make things more suspicious for them.
it does't matter as one may have acquired automatic PR years before applying for confirmation as it is't mandatory.
if he does't wanna wait 12 months I think he should't send it with AN form.