ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of non-EEA nationals in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dan01
Newly Registered

Registration of non-EEA nationals in Ireland

Post by Dan01 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:13 pm

The following is from the Registration of non-EEA nationals in Ireland pages on citizensinformation.ie

"Registering with immigration officials means appearing in person before the Garda National Immigration Bureau (if you are in Dublin) or the District Headquarters in other Garda Districts. When you present yourself before the registration officer you must provide certain information and evidence about your status (see Rules below).

Any changes you wish to make to the length of your stay or status must also be reported to immigration officials. You must also notify the registration officer if you plan to move to another Garda District, and report to the registration officer of that new district within 2 days of arriving to live there."

***Background info***. 23 year old Canadian citizen who was in Ireland on a 1 year Working Holiday Visa. When I arrived in Dublin my passport was stamped for 30 days. I had 30 days to register with the GNIB. The thing is, I didn't realise that I had to register in a certain district (the one where I ended up residing). I wanted to travel for more than 30 days so I just popped into the Killarney Garda station and tried to register there. They told me I couldn't. I eventually registered in Galway city and got my GNIB card. But I never intended to remain there. I eventually settled in Glendalough, County Wicklow. The thing that worries me now, after all this time (I was in Ireland 9 months and returned home in February 2006) is that I only called the Garda Immigration folks in Galway to tell them about my move to Wicklow. I never actually went to the local Wicklow Garda to notify them or register or anything. I didn't realise I had to. I'm hoping to go back to Ireland in the Spring for another WHV. The last one I'll be able to do. Will the fact I never told them about my move to another Garda District be a problem? Will there be a record of me leaving the country within 1 year? I'm a bit worried now. I never heard anything about it when I left the country or anything. I wasn't hassled at customs etc...

I thought the point of a working holiday visa was to give people a chance to travel and work?? You know, travel around, stop for a week or two and make a bit of cash. And then move on. So why is there a rule about registering within 30 days and notifying the Garda after each move? That doesn't make sense to me. Not for a WHV at least.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:09 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. The Gardai aren't that joined up. Just don't tell the visa people these unnecessary details.

I was told by a Gard that the main function of these registrations is to find people who go missing or to help identify bodies that turn up. Short of that, the files basically just collect dust.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Documentation for non-EU partners of Irish or other EU citizens will depend on gender. For example, the non-EU husband of an Irish or EU citizen will be given a Residence Permit (Green Card) on the basis of marriage to that person. However, a non-EU wife will only be given a stamp in her passport and will not be issued with a Residence Permit.51 In addition, non-EU partners of Irish or EU citizens may have other personal documentation.
http://www.cdvec.ie/uploads/publication ... ration.pdf

An interesting if not outdated paper on educational rights for immigrants in Ireland.

cantaro

Post by cantaro » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 am

Hm… the above quote looks like discrimination based on gender to me. Someone should have sued over this already…

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:30 am

I think that must be outdated as my wife was issued with a green card about 2 months ago without problems.

Dan01
Newly Registered

Post by Dan01 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:46 am

I'm certainly thinking it won't be an issue. Still, if it does become one, I won't have much to prove that I in fact left Ireland before my WHV expired, will I? I was never stopped or had anything stamped between Dublin and London Heathrow.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:11 am

Don't worry about it. If they wanted proof that people leave the country they would have to give exit stamps. And they almost never do this.

They'll trust you that you left.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 am

Dan01 wrote:..I won't have much to prove that I in fact left Ireland before my WHV expired, will I? I was never stopped or had anything stamped between Dublin and London Heathrow.
Correct. UK / Dublin airports do not monitor people leaving the country, which is good for overstayers as they could, theoretically, stay many years and leave whenever they like, since there will be no documentary evidence proving when they left the country.

What's interesting here though, is that other Irish airports do *sometimes* check people leaving the country. I've flown from Cork and Shannon before, and in both cases GNIB officers were checking and stamping the (non-EEA) passports of people flying out. That said, I've also flown out from the said airport and there's been no-one there at all. Perhaps it's random? Thinking about it, even Heathrow carry "spot checks" on outgoing traffic if I remember rightly.

KRY
Newly Registered

Re: Registration of non-EEA nationals in Ireland

Post by KRY » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi,

Just been reading the posts about non-EU spouses of EU Nationals getting their residency cards from the Garda National - I've been left a bit confused. The application that I found on the Garda National website makes it seem like I have to have a load of documentation to make my application, i.e. evidence of my husband's employment or self-employment, evidence of our residence, but we only just arrived a few days ago, and are staying with family while we look for employment and a flat. We were under the impression that we would have more time to do this, but at the border, they told me I have two weeks to register with the Garda National. What exactly do I need to take to the Garda National within the two weeks, and what exactly do I get when I get there?

Very confused... thanks very much for any help/advice!

Best,
Kry