ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enter on Tier 4 or Tier 2 to finish studies then work?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

confusedm
Newly Registered

Enter on Tier 4 or Tier 2 to finish studies then work?

Post by confusedm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:01 am

I am currently a Masters student on a Tier 4. My course ends in September when I have to hand in my dissertation. I am going to be starting my new job later in September after applying for a Tier 2 this month on a restricted CoS (I am currently in the US, where I'm from). I will be coming back next month to finish my dissertation and hope to just start my job after I finish.

My main question is, what will happen with my Tier 4 and what should I do when I enter the UK in August? Specifically:

- Will my Tier 4 be curtailed when I apply for the Tier 2?
- If yes, can I enter/continue my studies in the UK in August even if my job doesn't start til the second half of September?
- If no, should I enter on my Tier 4 or Tier 2?

Thank you experts!

fx125

Re: Enter on Tier 4 or Tier 2 to finish studies then work?

Post by fx125 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:12 am

- Will my Tier 4 be curtailed when I apply for the Tier 2? => It will be curtailed once u are granted T2. T2 is only valid from 14 days prior to ur start date (in ur case, probably the beginning of Aug). Ur employer can write to the embassy to extend ur T4 validity, later you still need to exit UK on ur T4, and re-enter it on ur T2, given new regulation on exit/enter stamp

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:21 am

fx125 wrote:- Ur employer can write to the embassy to extend ur T4 validity, later you still need to exit UK on ur T4, and re-enter it on ur T2, given new regulation on exit/enter stamp[/b]
How does this work exactly? Would they need to write an email/letter to the UK Consulate in New York just saying something along the lines of "Please don't curtail his visa" or something else? My start date isn't until 21 September so probably wouldn't have entry clearance until the beginning of the September on the T2.

fx125

Post by fx125 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

confusedm wrote:
fx125 wrote:- Ur employer can write to the embassy to extend ur T4 validity, later you still need to exit UK on ur T4, and re-enter it on ur T2, given new regulation on exit/enter stamp[/b]
How does this work exactly? Would they need to write an email/letter to the UK Consulate in New York just saying something along the lines of "Please don't curtail his visa" or something else? My start date isn't until 21 September so probably wouldn't have entry clearance until the beginning of the September on the T2.
Since I'm in same situation with you, my legal advisor says this is the solution. But Im not lucky enough to get the RCoS so I cannot find out how to proceed further. U should discuss this option with ur employer and better talk to a legal guy. Cheers !!!

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:32 am

Thanks! :)