ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for dependent child born outside the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

johnsond
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for dependent child born outside the UK

Post by johnsond » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Hello, I got my ILR more than a year ago and now intend to apply for Naturalisation followed by British Citizenship.

My two year old was born in India and is currently with me in the UK on a dependent visa.

Will he be eligible to apply for naturlisation along with me?

Thanks in advance.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation for dependent child born outside the UK

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 pm

It will be upon discretion, normally both parents and child must hold ILR status, if other parent does not hold ILR then its upon discretion and these days according to few member's feedback in forum, this discretion is no longer practised if other parent is not on ILR. Please click here for more information. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:26 pm

johnsond wrote:Hello, I got my ILR more than a year ago and now intend to apply for Naturalisation followed by British Citizenship.

Naturalisation is the same thing as British Citizenship.
After naturalisation as a UK citizen you have the option to apply for a British passport, perhaps that is what you meant.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:48 pm

Where is the child's other parent? If in UK, what the immigration status?

And, children don't apply for naturalisation but for registration as British citizen!!!!!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

johnsond
Newly Registered

Post by johnsond » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:00 pm

fwd079 wrote:It will be upon discretion, normally both parents and child must hold ILR status, if other parent does not hold ILR then its upon discretion and these days according to few member's feedback in forum, this discretion is no longer practised if other parent is not on ILR. Please click here for more information. Good luck.

Thank you fwd079.
My wife is staying with me on a dependent spouse visa. And will need some more time to qualify for her ILR. So I guess its prudent to wait for her ILR and then apply for our child's naturalisation.

johnsond
Newly Registered

Post by johnsond » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Where is the child's other parent? If in UK, what the immigration status?

And, children don't apply for naturalisation but for registration as British citizen!!!!!

Thanks sushdmehta.

My wife is staying with me on a spouse-dependent visa and is not eligible for ILR yet.
As for your point about children registering, I will keep that in mind when my wife completes her ILR.

johnsond
Newly Registered

Post by johnsond » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:06 pm

noajthan wrote:
johnsond wrote:Hello, I got my ILR more than a year ago and now intend to apply for Naturalisation followed by British Citizenship.

Naturalisation is the same thing as British Citizenship.
After naturalisation as a UK citizen you have the option to apply for a British passport, perhaps that is what you meant.

Thanks noajthan.

Yes, the ultimate aim is for my child to be a British Citizen along with me. As someone clarified, children just register as citizens based on their parents visas.
So we will get my wife's ILR and then register our son.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Children born abroad also usually require ILR. There is some discretion in this but there have also been quite a few refusals by members who ignored advice to get ILR first for the born abroad children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.