ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizen returning to UK after 20 years

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jangochi
Newly Registered

Citizen returning to UK after 20 years

Post by jangochi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,

I would like some valuable inputs on obtaining address proof for a friend of mine who is perhaps in a unique situation - returning to settle back in UK after living outside of EU for over 20 years!

She does possess the British passport and it is due to expire in about 2 months.

1) I envisage that she won't have any problems at the port of entry in UK even though the passport will expire soon?

2) Wondering if something like an exit visa will be required from India where she has been living? (She has all the paper work which made her eligible to live there even though she is a foreign citizen. Her family(including kids) is in India and all of them hold non-UK citizenship)

3) If she gets through the immigration formalities okay, how about obtaining an address proof in UK? She currently has no credit history or address proof in UK. I could see this causing problems even to rent a property or to start a bank account.

4) Is there a UK government agency that could assist returning citizens like this?

Do you know anyone who may have come through a similar situation? Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Petaltop

Re: Citizen returning to UK after 20 years

Post by Petaltop » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 am

jangochi wrote:
1) I envisage that she won't have any problems at the port of entry in UK even though the passport will expire soon?
No problem, as long as she has a "British Citizen" passport and not one of the other 5 British passports that does not allow the holder to live in the UK or EU.

jangochi wrote:3) If she gets through the immigration formalities okay, how about obtaining an address proof in UK? She currently has no credit history or address proof in UK. I could see this causing problems even to rent a property or to start a bank account.
Very difficult, she may have to pay 6 months rent up front and a large deposit and show proof of how she will pay the rent after that 6 months.
jangochi wrote:4) Is there a UK government agency that could assist returning citizens like this?

None. Normally British citizens return home and live with family or friends until they can find a placet to rent, or they arrange a rental before they return, or they already own a property in the UK and move back to that.
jangochi wrote:Do you know anyone who may have come through a similar situation? Any pointers will be much appreciated.
Lots, but as said, they return home and live with family or friends until they can find a placet to rent, or they arrange a rental before they return, or they already own a property in the UK and move back to that.

jangochi
Newly Registered

Post by jangochi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 am

Cheers mate. Let's see how it pans out! I suppose CAB could offer some assistance, exploring that route too.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Bear in mind that she also won't be entitled to any benefits (housing, JSA, etc) for the first 3 months after arrival.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 pm

jangochi wrote:Hi,

I would like some valuable inputs on obtaining address proof for a friend of mine who is perhaps in a unique situation - returning to settle back in UK after living outside of EU for over 20 years!

Do you know anyone who may have come through a similar situation? Any pointers will be much appreciated.
Beware of potential lack of access to NHS hospital healthcare for first 6 months after returning:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/115 ... lines.html
Only those who have been living in the UK for at least six months are eligible for hospital treatment on the NHS
My wife was able to get a Halifax basic bank account quite easily:
http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/c ... nk-account
- disclosure: we bank there (that's all); there are other banks that offer similar easier-to-setup accounts

Coming back is going to be a culture shock ...
we're not in Kansas anymore
Suggest reaching out to WI or religious groups (or similar) to help build up new social & support network in the early days of re-integration & acclimatisation.

There's good advice here too:
http://www.mind-yourself.co.uk/newtolondon
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.