ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh - sister

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zulakam
Newly Registered

Surinder Singh - sister

Post by zulakam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone had experience of bringing other family members, like siblings over 21 years old? I am going to Europe to bring my mum which i understand much better now thanks to all your help. But what if I show that my sister was dependent on me while living in Russia, and during our whole stay in Europe (6 months) ? Would it help us get EEA family permit for her? Or she has to have medical condition? Netherlands website says that she has to be either financially dependent or unable to look after herself.

Thanks!!

secret.simon

Re: Surinder Singh - sister

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Remember that the rules for "family members" (spouses,children and parents) are different from that for "extended family members" (siblings, etc). For the former, rights are automatic and based on EEA regulations. Individual countries have no right to refuse access to family members.

For the latter, it depends on the country that you are applying in and the only requirements are that the individual nation state should "facilitate" their access to the EU. Individual countries can have different rules for siblings and there is no requirement to allow extended family members in. Search on these forums for "EEA regulations brother", "Surinder Singh brother" or similar phrase for more information.

This thread seems to suggest that the UKV&I applies the Surinder Singh judgement to family members (as defined above) only and not to "extended family members".