ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for a Visitor's Visa Directly from Dublin?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asante1
Newly Registered

Can I apply for a Visitor's Visa Directly from Dublin?

Post by asante1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi folks,

I reside in Belfast and have British citizenship. I am looking to fly out of Dublin on an international flight with my child, a minor who holds a passport requiring a Visa for entry to Ireland. So technically speaking he needs a multi entry Visitor's Visa to be able to fly back through Dublin and then on-wards back to Belfast when we return.

I have submitted an online visa application and by default the application was sent to the Irish Embassy in London. Now, I am wondering if it is possible to drive down to Dublin instead and attempt to get the visa sorted there and then?

Thanks for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I apply for a Visitor's Visa Directly from Dublin?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 pm

You cannot apply for a visa from the destination/city you intend to visit. You apply for the visa in the country that you reside in and as you reside in the UK, you need to apply for the child in the UK. Dublin is not part of the UK so the default to London would be correct.

If you are British, are you British by birth or through naturalisation? What nationality is your child and why is the child not British?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

asante1
Newly Registered

Post by asante1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 pm

CR001 wrote:You cannot apply for a visa from the destination/city you intend to visit. You apply for the visa in the country that you reside in and as you reside in the UK, you need to apply for the child in the UK. Dublin is not part of the UK so the default to London would be correct.

If you are British, are you British by birth or through naturalisation? What nationality is your child and why is the child not British?

Thank you for responding. I naturalised and am in the process of naturalising my child but we need to travel so that's why. I had hoped his application would have been completed by now but it's not. Wondered if there was even a possibility that they might entertain my request in Dublin, which is an hour and half by road from where I am as opposed to travelling to London.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Why not fly from Belfast or any other UK airport? It will be so much easier.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Diomond

Post by Diomond » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:16 am

As u are a eu national ,ur child can travel without visa to irelireland as a family member of eu national. U can get a visa on the port of entry as well.under directive 2004/38/ec.

asante1
Newly Registered

Post by asante1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 am

CR001 wrote:Why not fly from Belfast or any other UK airport? It will be so much easier.
Thanks CR001, you are right that it would have been much easier but I got really reasonable flights out of Dublin..

asante1
Newly Registered

Post by asante1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 am

Diomond wrote:As u are a eu national ,ur child can travel without visa to irelireland as a family member of eu national. U can get a visa on the port of entry as well.under directive 2004/38/ec.
You raise an interesting point here Diamond. I had not thought of it from that angle. Is that valid for just passing through Ireland as I am doing or really for when you are moving to stay in Ireland?

Diomond

Post by Diomond » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 am

It does not matter.freedom of movement applies.just have birth cert with u and would not be any problem.

asante1
Newly Registered

Post by asante1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:49 am

Diomond wrote:It does not matter.freedom of movement applies.just have birth cert with u and would not be any problem.
Thanks a lot Diamond.. I actually went and read the Directive and you are spot on in what you say.

Many thanks guys, I appreciate your help. Knowledge is power!