ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using international driving licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

haringnl83
Newly Registered

Using international driving licence

Post by haringnl83 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Hello, we are hoping somebody has some knowledge about this and can solve for us whether this will be possible! My husband is Vietnamese and has been resident in the UK for 3 years. He now wants to obtain a driving licence, and has successfully applied for and received a UK provisional licence. He has studied for the theory test and attempted it but although his spoken English is excellent, his reading is a bit slower and he struggled with the English in the test. A friend of his has told him that he could apply for a driving licence in Vietnam when he is on holiday there next month, and it would be valid here for 12 months. But the information I found online is that it is only valid for 12 months from when he first arrived here, so he couldn't use a Vietnamese licence now because he has been here 3 years already. My husband thinks I'm wrong! Please could somebody confirm whether my husband is right, or whether I am right and he can only drive with a UK licence now. Thank you!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Using international driving licence

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:15 pm

12 months from first arrival and not reset on exit and re-entry.

Don't mess with the DLVA, I used to work there - once they've had you in their sights they won't leave you alone.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Using international driving licence

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Although theory driving tests are no longer available in foreign languages, your husband can choose to listen to the questions through head phones instead of reading them. He may find this easier. He needs to request this when he books the test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.