ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK and English language test for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

desaisonalr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Life in the UK and English language test for Naturalisation

Post by desaisonalr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:19 am

Dear Friends,

I am planning to apply for naturalisation for me and my family (wife and 5 yrs daughter). I got my ILR in Jan 2013; I came to UK via Tier 1 general route and used Degree taught in English from my Indian University for both Tier1 and ILR applications.

Will it be sufficient for me and my wife to use our Degree taught in English letters for naturalisation application? or do we need to pass B1 CEFR to suffice English language requirement?

If i use my degree taught in english letter and Life in the UK that i passed in 2012; Can I submit my naturalisation application by selecting option
"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013; ".

Also do we need to pass the life in the UK test again?

Regards,
Sonal

vd_ilr

Re: Life in the UK and English language test for Naturalisat

Post by vd_ilr » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:05 pm

I am in a similar situation. I got my citizenship in 2014 and now planning to apply citizenship for my wife under ILR and 3 years residency

This is my understanding regarding English language requirement. One will have to produce

1) PBS print out showing 10 points for the qualification
2) Original degree certificate

Please refer
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

Itsmenuts
Newly Registered

Post by Itsmenuts » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:16 pm

hi

I have the same query and struggling to find out if i need to sit an exam to prove my knowledge of English... the fact i can write this email should be sufficent :-)

I got ILR on 9/9/2013 and cleared the Life in UK test for that. The certificate clearly states it is sufficient for both LUK and KOLL for settlement and naturalisation process.

however the change is rules ' on and after 28/10/2013' has really confused me.

Called the NCS centre today and they said i need to get the degree certificate and print out of PBC.

However when i go online the category i came under is no longer open - Tier 1 General. So how do i calculate my points.

Can anyone please help? My appointment is next week.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Itsmenuts wrote:hi

I have the same query and struggling to find out if i need to sit an exam to prove my knowledge of English... the fact i can write this email should be sufficent :-)

I got ILR on 9/9/2013 and cleared the Life in UK test for that. The certificate clearly states it is sufficient for both LUK and KOLL for settlement and naturalisation process.

however the change is rules ' on and after 28/10/2013' has really confused me.

Called the NCS centre today and they said i need to get the degree certificate and print out of PBC.

However when i go online the category i came under is no longer open - Tier 1 General. So how do i calculate my points.

Can anyone please help? My appointment is next week.
Use the Tier 2 G or Tier 1 Ent option in the calculator.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Itsmenuts
Newly Registered

Post by Itsmenuts » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Ok hope using Tier 1 Ent will not result in confusion as i did not enter under that category.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:44 pm

You are using the calculator for points for English, it should be fine and if you search the forum, other people that previously had Tier 1G have done the same due to T1G not being available any longer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Itsmenuts
Newly Registered

Post by Itsmenuts » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:45 am

ok thanks again. Its clear that i dont need to give an exam and can prove KOLL with Points based calculator and degree certificate.

Can you also please point out which option to choose on the AN form, is it the colored option:

I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification (Go to question 1.23)
Or
Form AN Application form (version 05/15) Page 7 of 32
I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);
Or
I am a national of a majority English speaking country;
Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

ishchopra

Post by ishchopra » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello there,

Can somebody please tell me which option to tick if i attach my original degree and PBS ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:29 pm

PBS calculator is no longer accepted for English etc. Below from the ILR English FAQs.
From 06-Apr-2016, a printout of the points-based calculator on gov.uk website cannot be used as evidence of English language proficiency to the prescribed standard.
Statement of changes to the Immigration Rules: HC877, 11 March 2016 wrote:
Changes relating to various Points-Based System categories

7.20. Amendments are being made to reflect the closing down of the “points based calculator” tool on the gov.uk website, which applicants may currently use if they would like to use an overseas qualification to demonstrate a requirement of the rules. From 6 April 2016, applicants should instead obtain an official statement from UK NARIC: http://www.naric.org.uk/visasandnationality.

7.21. Minor amendments are being made to clarify that UK NARIC determines the level of international qualifications, and does not assess UK qualifications;
But you can tick 'met this requirement, on or after 28th October 2013, in order to obtain settlement (ILR or PR),'
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ishchopra

Post by ishchopra » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the Info but are you sure that i dont need to take NARIC certificate?

i got my ILR in April 2014

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:44 pm

As per below link, We can use original Degree certificate along with an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught in English.

Correct me if my understanding was wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

4. If your degree was taught or researched in English
You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

== > an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
== > an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Maybe you haven't read it (what you have quoted) carefully enough!?
What is your nationality?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!