ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A warning to people travelling during application process

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

spencerand
Newly Registered

A warning to people travelling during application process

Post by spencerand » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 pm

I am a US citizen living in the UK with my italian wife. I applied for my 5 year EEA2 permit in July and the two of us went on holiday abroad a few weeks ago.

Before leaving I had a certificate of application and was told over the phone by 2 home office officials and a lawyer that this letter would allow me to travel and get me back in the country.

When I got to the border the immigration official was very nasty about it, and said I needed a letter that SPECIFICALLY said I could travel and that the certificate of application was not enough. I told her that I was told my home office officials that it was okay. She said word of mouth was not good enough and an official document was needed. I pointed at the certificate of application and told her I thought that was what this document did. She shouted at me to stop pointing at her. Really friendly people they have working these borders.

She said she would have to consult a senior official to see if they could let me in. One minute later she came back and said: "Yes I was right, you need an actual document. I'll let you in for two months, but you need to get this resolved before you travel again."

I have a feeling that my certificate of application was good enough, but the point is, try to get it in writing if you can, and if you can't don't travel. It's just not worth the risk.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:14 pm

They always do that when they are wrong

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 pm

The bas***ds

:D
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:59 am

The IO was within her rights. A certificate of application gives you no immigration status. All it evidences is that you have made an application to the Home Office. Immigration oficers hate lawyers telling them how to run UK border control. The application could in theory be refused. Given you are the spouse of an Italian national probably exercising her treaty rights here, the Immigration Officer's senior officer has probably made a judgment call and considered it was not worth the hassle of refusing you entry. You would in any case have had a right of appeal.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:32 am

INSIDER wrote:The IO was within her rights. A certificate of application gives you no immigration status. All it evidences is that you have made an application to the Home Office. Immigration oficers hate lawyers telling them how to run UK border control. The application could in theory be refused. Given you are the spouse of an Italian national probably exercising her treaty rights here, the Immigration Officer's senior officer has probably made a judgment call and considered it was not worth the hassle of refusing you entry. You would in any case have had a right of appeal.
In fact the IO was wrong as the EEA2 is just evidence of the right to live in the U.K. - it is not a conferment of the right in itself.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 am

JAJ wrote:
INSIDER wrote:The IO was within her rights. A certificate of application gives you no immigration status. All it evidences is that you have made an application to the Home Office. Immigration oficers hate lawyers telling them how to run UK border control. The application could in theory be refused. Given you are the spouse of an Italian national probably exercising her treaty rights here, the Immigration Officer's senior officer has probably made a judgment call and considered it was not worth the hassle of refusing you entry. You would in any case have had a right of appeal.
In fact the IO was wrong as the EEA2 is just evidence of the right to live in the U.K. - it is not a conferment of the right in itself.
Not sure I understand your point here JAJ.