ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization for Dependants --- Qualifying Time

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

omer2013
United Kingdom

Naturalization for Dependants --- Qualifying Time

Post by omer2013 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:54 pm

I have a couple of questions if some one help me out.

My family joined me firstly in Jan. 2013 and their dependant visa were granted in May 2012 in Pak. Under econmoic migrant route, I with my family members applied for ILR through one day service in April 2013 and delayed and refused, eventually got our ILR via court. At the time of application all my daughters were under 18 but during the process, one daughter turned 18. Lastly I with my four daughters have been granted ILR in Nov. 2014. Presently my two daughters are over 18 and other two are under 18. My spouse got PBS dependant visa for 3 year because she has to complete 2 years in UK according to immigration rule prior to changes made in 7 July 2012. My questions are below;

1. can I apply for naturalization with my 2 daughters (11 yrs, 16 yrs) under 18 in Nov. 2015?

2. When my 2 daughters (over 18 yrs) are eligible for naturalization?

3. My spouse are eligible to apply for ILR as she has completed more than 2 years in UK. Unluckily, she is unable to pass Life in the Uk test and B1 test. Will she get an extension in the same PBS dependant cateory when her current leave expire? How long she has to wait to get ILR without these two requirements? Is there any rule existing in this regard?

4. All of my dependants have single worded name and on their passports single name is mentioned on their surname column and they have been granted their visas and ILRs with single name as mentioned in the passports.

None of the bank is willing to open account for them because they have single name?

Now I want to book Life in the Uk test for over 18 daughters but the system does not allow bacause of single name and they need first name and surname on the system.

5. What is the procedure to change their name i.e. to include first name and surname?

6. Do I need to change name in their ILR as well as in the passports?

I would appreciate if some one assist me in this regard.

Kind regards

Omer

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalization for Dependants --- Qualifying Time

Post by geriatrix » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Minors do not naturalise, adults do.

1. Registration subject to discretion (See 9.17.9),
2. They may apply for naturalisation when they fulfill the standard requirements.
3. Knowlwedge of language and life (KoLL) is a mandatory requirement for settlement for everyone aged 18 - 65 years, unless exempt.
4. In such case, the institutions / agencies / banks should keep the "firstname" field blank and use the given single-worded forname in the "surname" field. That's the standard procedure in UK, followed by UKV&I and HMPO as well.
5. Best that they follow the legal procedure prescribed by their country of citizenship. Check with the country's embassy in UK.
6. If they don't, how will they prove their identity (in the new name)?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

omer2013
United Kingdom

Post by omer2013 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi,

I forgot to mention that my elder daughter (over 18 yrs) has obtained her pak passport with first name and surname i.e. (two worded name). During the process of ILR, she turned over 18 and her old passport was expired. When we visited Pak High commission to renew her passport and get new one. Then the official said that she is over 18 and need to apply for her National identity card first, when it is prepared, then on the basis of national ID card, she can apply for new passport. Theyn we applied for her ID card and changed the name i.e. first name and surname instead of old single name (were in previous passport, dependant visa and ILR). On the basis of new name mentioned in national ID card, we applied for her new passport and we obtained passport with new name (first name and surname).

Now she has expired dependant visa and expired passport and ILR with single name but she has new passport with new two worded name. Please do advise what to do in this regard.

omer2013
United Kingdom

Post by omer2013 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Just to remind any member in the forum to respond to my post and advise me accordingly.

Thanks

Omer

omer2013
United Kingdom

Qualifying Period for registering minors

Post by omer2013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:10 am

Hi sushdmehta,

Hope you are well. Kindly advise me on the following points;

1. I have been granted ILR on 12 Nov. 2014. But 5 years back in Nov. 2010, I was not available in UK and away from UK from 29th Oct. 2010 to 27th Nov. 2010. When I can apply for naturalization and submit my application?

2. I have two minor daughters (11 years, 16 years old) and they joined me with my other family members in the UK on 30th Jan. 2013 and this was their first arrival in the UK.
Are these minors (11, 16 yrs) are eligible for registration (MN1 application) with my application?
Is there any residence period required for them before making application?

Thanks beforehand.

Omer

ouflak1

Re: Qualifying Period for registering minors

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

omer2013 wrote: 1. I have been granted ILR on 12 Nov. 2014. But 5 years back in Nov. 2010, I was not available in UK and away from UK from 29th Oct. 2010 to 27th Nov. 2010. When I can apply for naturalization and submit my application?
The Home Office should not receive your application until 27th November, 2015. To be on the safe side, be sure not to apply until that specific date.
omer2013 wrote:2. I have two minor daughters (11 years, 16 years old) and they joined me with my other family members in the UK on 30th Jan. 2013 and this was their first arrival in the UK.
Are these minors (11, 16 yrs) are eligible for registration (MN1 application) with my application?
Is there any residence period required for them before making application?
Do your daughters already hold ILR? If not, because of their age and relatively short residence in the UK (just under three years), they will certainly need to hold ILR before attempting to register for citizenship. If they do hold ILR, they can probably apply right now as 2+ years of continuous residence, closing in on 3, is generally enough. I do believe that your wife will have to have atleast ILR before they can register though.

ouflak1

Re: Qualifying Period for registering minors

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:06 pm

ouflak1 wrote: Do your daughters already hold ILR? If not, because of their age and relatively short residence in the UK (just under three years), they will certainly need to hold ILR before attempting to register for citizenship. If they do hold ILR, they can probably apply right now as 2+ years of continuous residence, closing in on 3, is generally enough. I do believe that your wife will have to have atleast ILR before they can register though.
I just wanted to augment/clarify this a bit. Assuming your wife has ILR at the time, the children will be able to register when you apply for citizenship (and it is approved), or anytime after you've acquired citizenship. Not before.

omer2013
United Kingdom

Post by omer2013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Dear sir/madam,

1. My wife have 3 years visa and doesnt hold ILR. I with my 4 daughters got ILR.

2. My family (wife, daughters) entered the UK for the first time in Jan. 2013. If 3 years stay is mandatory, then they will complete 3 years (including 1 year of ILR) in Jan. 2016.

Please do advise me, so I can not waste money.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Omer

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm

For children born abroad and one parent is applying with them for naturalisation, the other parent is expected to hold ILR.

See page 12 of the MN1 Guide - Children born abroad to parents who are applying for citizenship(click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

omer2013
United Kingdom

Post by omer2013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks for the information provided.
Do I need apply with them when their 3 years complete in Jan. 2016?
OR
I can apply alone and if I get it, then I will apply for them OR They will apply at their own when they become over 18. If they get refusal at this stage, then later on, HO will not process and consider their independant adult application.

May I have your valuable suggestion please?

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:58 pm

They can apply as persons under 18 when the other parent has ILR or when they qualify in their own right as adults.

It is unlikely that their application will succeed if your spouse does not have ILR. The rules are clear about this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

omer2013
United Kingdom

Post by omer2013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Many thanks for your swift response. My wife is not educated and will be unable to pass life in the uk test and English although we are pushing her but very difficult for her to learn at this stage. She is going to the learning centre as well. It seems that making MN1 application for minors is not fruitful and waiting of time and money. So they will wait until they reach the age of 18, they they will apply as adult.

At this stage, I will make my application. We have no choice and have to grin and bear!!!!

Warmest regards

Omer