ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK couple to Aus - Help!?

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mcnelson2004
Newly Registered

UK couple to Aus - Help!?

Post by mcnelson2004 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi,

Have been reading the forum but can't find any advice that quite fits my situation.

I'm in the process of getting a sponsored working visa as my company in the UK are setting up in Sydney (i'm a UK citizen). My visa is pretty much sorted now - should be through in the next few weeks by all accounts.

However, my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years (also UK citizen) who is currently in her final year of University in England is also going to come out when she finished her course around May/June 2008.

If anyone has any suggestions on the easiest way for her to get out to Aus, that would be greatly appreciated. She could go out on a working travel visa for 12 months and search for sponsorship once she's out there I suppose but are there other options??

Thanks!

gumnut
Newly Registered

Re: UK couple to Aus - Help!?

Post by gumnut » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 am

mcnelson2004 wrote:Hi,

Have been reading the forum but can't find any advice that quite fits my situation.

I'm in the process of getting a sponsored working visa as my company in the UK are setting up in Sydney (i'm a UK citizen). My visa is pretty much sorted now - should be through in the next few weeks by all accounts.

However, my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years (also UK citizen) who is currently in her final year of University in England is also going to come out when she finished her course around May/June 2008.

If anyone has any suggestions on the easiest way for her to get out to Aus, that would be greatly appreciated. She could go out on a working travel visa for 12 months and search for sponsorship once she's out there I suppose but are there other options??

Thanks!

=======

I'm no legal eagle, just so you know, however I have known some people to have trouble with bringing partners in.

A friend of mine (a born and bred Aussie) met an American girl with a very high powered job representing a large American company in Asia. - She was well educated and obviously very capable. The sort of person I would have thought any country would be happy to welcome. He had a lot of trouble reuniting with her here and, from memory, it involved several trips of her coming here and then hopping over to New Zealand for a certain amount of time several time while things were 'happening' with her visa. The story had a happy ending but not without a bit of a battle.

Given the time you have been with your girlfriend that may have some pull. Does your visa sight 'cohabiting/de facto spouse' and not just 'married'?

mcnelson2004
Newly Registered

Post by mcnelson2004 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks Gumnut!

There is talk of de facto partner:

Spouse

A spouse is the person that you live with as husband or wife. This relationship may be a legal marriage or a de facto/common law relationship which involves members of the opposite sex.

Has anyone had any experience of taking de facto partners in as a secondary applicant and what is expected from a de facto partner to make them eligible?

Thanks.

Aussie Bob
Newly Registered

HELP

Post by Aussie Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:27 pm

A few months ago, My sister got me an E-book on migration to Australia. It’s been a great read and help to us over the last few months, simple reading and easy to follow.

It’s quite a comprehensive book and a big help for any newbies just setting out on the process or thinking about the dream of life down under.

As it’s an E-book, if anyone would like a free copy of the book, just let me know. I can send anyone a copy, you just need Adobe reader on your computer to open the book. I’m sure it would be a help to many fellow Pommers seeking a new life down under.

It’s over a hundred pages in colour packed with useful tips and information for everyone. I know some people are more clued in and experienced at this than others, and you learn a lot as you go along, but I really found the book a help, and I’m sure it can help others.

So if anyone wants a copy of the book, just E-mail me or PM me and I will send you a copy.
Cheers to all,
AUSSIE BOB

sjunaidn
Newly Registered

Post by sjunaidn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:04 pm

Has anyone had any experience of taking de facto partners in as a secondary applicant and what is expected from a de facto partner to make them eligible?
Hi Nelson,

If you can prove any of the following

1. Have been living at the same address for quite some time.
2. Have lodged tax returns with both of your declaring each other as their partners. This depends whether your country accepts this kind of partnership or not. In Australia you can prove your defacto relationship by simply living together and lodging tax returns together.

I am not aware of any other ways, but there must be other ways to prove your defacto relationship. But the one I mentioned is the most authentic one which the australian gov accepts.