ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family permit with domestic partnership from MA (USA)?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ALBoston
Newly Registered

EEA Family permit with domestic partnership from MA (USA)?

Post by ALBoston » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi all,

My husband and I got married on August 1st but we still did not get our marriage certificate. It will still take 7-14 days to get it. We nonetheless decided to become domestic partners in the state of Massachusetts on July 16th and got our domestic partnership certificate. We decided to apply for the EEA Family Permit using the domestic partnership certificate.

We are now wondering if we should go ahead and proceed with the application based on the domestic partnership (appointment for biometrics on August 19th) or if we'd rather wait one to two weeks and resubmit the application based on our marriage certificate and cancel the first one.

Thanks a lot,

AL

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EEA Family permit with domestic partnership from MA (USA

Post by chaoclive » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:56 am

ALBoston wrote:Hi all,

My husband and I got married on August 1st but we still did not get our marriage certificate. It will still take 7-14 days to get it. We nonetheless decided to become domestic partners in the state of Massachusetts on July 16th and got our domestic partnership certificate. We decided to apply for the EEA Family Permit using the domestic partnership certificate.

We are now wondering if we should go ahead and proceed with the application based on the domestic partnership (appointment for biometrics on August 19th) or if we'd rather wait one to two weeks and resubmit the application based on our marriage certificate and cancel the first one.

Thanks a lot,

AL

If your domestic partnership is equivalent to a UK civil partnership, it won't make a difference which one you choose to use. I'm not familiar with the D P'ship in the USA but you should check this out first.

Next: where is your partner/where are you from? I'm assuming you are/he's not British?