ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maternity Allowances for

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scher

Maternity Allowances for

Post by scher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi Immigration Guru's,
Currently I am on Tier2 General Visa and my visa do expires on 20/04/2017. I got married on aug2014 and My wife also got Tier2 General dependent visa until 2017. she is currently working as a check out operator at ASDA joined on 2/5/2015 and she is 5 weeks preganant by the time she joined and she does not that she is pregnant at the time of joining and she confirmed her pregnancy after 10 days of her joining date at ASDA...she is currently working and she works until 30/11/2015 and then she is planning to take maternity leave from 1/12/2015 as her due date is on 1/1/2016...

Now I would like to know that what are benefits she can apply...could you please guide us...
Thanks in Advance,
scher.

LR2015

Re: Maternity Allowances for

Post by LR2015 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 am

scher wrote:Hi Immigration Guru's,
Currently I am on Tier2 General Visa and my visa do expires on 20/04/2017. I got married on aug2014 and My wife also got Tier2 General dependent visa until 2017. she is currently working as a check out operator at ASDA joined on 2/5/2015 and she is 5 weeks preganant by the time she joined and she does not that she is pregnant at the time of joining and she confirmed her pregnancy after 10 days of her joining date at ASDA...she is currently working and she works until 30/11/2015 and then she is planning to take maternity leave from 1/12/2015 as her due date is on 1/1/2016...

Now I would like to know that what are benefits she can apply...could you please guide us...
Thanks in Advance,
scher.
Your wife can apply for maternity allowance if she doesn't qualify for statutory maternity pay from her employer.
Maternity allowance for 39 weeks

You might get Maternity Allowance for 39 weeks if one of the following applies:
you’re employed, but you can’t get Statutory Maternity Pay
you’re self-employed and pay Class 2 National Insurance (including Voluntary National Insurance) for at least 13 of the 66 weeks before your baby’s due - the amount of Maternity Allowance you get depends on how much Class 2 National Insurance you’ve paid
you’ve recently stopped working

In the 66 weeks before your baby’s due, you must also have been:
employed or self-employed for at least 26 weeks

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility
From your post it looks like that your wife will qualify for maternity allowance from govt £139.58 a week or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is less) for up to 39 weeks.

scher

Post by scher » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion...As I am on Tier 2 general visa and my wife is on Tier 2 general dependent visa, we dont have access to public funds...so could you please suggest me that are we eligible to take Maternity Allowance and if so would it effect our eligibility for ILR on SEP 2019...

also currently I am working as a software developer for NHS and I am planning to take 2 weeks of paternity leave after baby's birth from my organisation as I am working for them from past 2 years so could you pls suggest me that whether paternity leave comes under public funds or not....

Thanks and Regards,
scher.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Google's awesome at finding out stuff on the Internet :)

It found the definition of public funds in under a second (0.59 second if you're interested).

LR2015

Post by LR2015 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:33 pm

scher wrote:Hi,
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion...As I am on Tier 2 general visa and my wife is on Tier 2 general dependent visa, we dont have access to public funds...so could you please suggest me that are we eligible to take Maternity Allowance and if so would it effect our eligibility for ILR on SEP 2019...

also currently I am working as a software developer for NHS and I am planning to take 2 weeks of paternity leave after baby's birth from my organisation as I am working for them from past 2 years so could you pls suggest me that whether paternity leave comes under public funds or not....

Thanks and Regards,
scher.
Maternity and Paternity Allowance are not public funds. You can take maternity allowance or paternity leave on your tier 2 working visa.

Benefits that do not count as public funds
Benefits not considered as public funds under the Immigration Rules include:
 Contribution based jobseeker's allowance
 Guardian’s allowance
 Incapacity benefit
 Contribution-based employment and support allowance (ESA)
 Maternity allowance
 Retirement pension
 Statutory maternity pay
 Statutory sickness pay
 Widow’s benefit and bereavement benefit.
Check this on page 8
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 2_0EXT.pdf

scher

Post by scher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:01 am

Hi LR2015,
Once again many thanks for the information that you have provided and for replying my query...
Thanks and Regards,
SCHER.