ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

police report

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

niksinif
Newly Registered

police report

Post by niksinif » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:28 pm

whats the best way to get an american police report for immigration purposes?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:42 pm

The "best" way is difficult to be sure of.

Usually you need to contact the controlling authority for each location you lived in. I ran across a website not too long ago that listed many of the ones for major cities & regions around the world.

I'll see if I can locate it again. Seems I forgot to bookmark it ...

:?

You will need to make a request for each jurisdiction you lived in, usually the county courthouse, or the State police ... but it changes place to place.

And (I suspect) that each record they provide will require an apostille. At least, many countries require them.

Which EU countries/country are you entering ..?

If you just want the general record for traveling or moving to several countries, the apostille is a Really Good Idea, although it can get pretty expensive quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille

As defined by:
the Hague Convention

the Admin

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:59 pm

I found this page with the New Zealand government on how to obtain a Police Certificate from the United States.

It should provide all the basic information you need to get started.

Use google for the parts that are unclear ... and to track down specific U.S. jurisdictions and contact information.

Can't seem to find the other link.

Drats! it was a good one, too ....

And, this is a concise, general summary:
United States of America

To obtain an FBI clearance, go to a local police station, FBI field office, or Immigration Service Center and obtain a fingerprint form, fill out the form and get fingerprinted. Mail the card with a certified cheque or money order for US$25 made payable to the "U.S. Treasury" to the following address:

FBI
CJIS Division
Attn: Special Correspondence - Mode - D2
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia
26306 USA

Include a letter stating the request and reason for the FBI Clearance certificate.

A resident of the US can obtain a police clearance through their local police station

the Admin

niksinif
Newly Registered

Post by niksinif » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:15 pm

thanks. im using it for bulgaria.