ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jhbmike

Citizenship

Post by jhbmike » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi all
I am one of the lucky few that got a eu1 decision in my favour and got a stamp 4 for 5 years. Reading all your stories on this forum my case isnt very different from most of you that got rejected, I was just lucky I suppose.
Anyway the question I would like to ask is - Ive applied for naturalisation through desent(my great grandfateher was Irish and my mother is Irish - unfortanetly not at the time of my birth or Id be automatically entitled to citizenship.)
Ive been in the country 3 years now, my application has been in for a year now. I was recently laid off at my job and although I can probably get through 6 months with the savings I have and not claim unemployment benefit while looking for a new job, I still feel that I should be entitled to claim as I have made PRSI contributions. I am worried though that If I claim unemployment they might use this as an excuse not to give me Irish citizenship.
Does anybody now anything about this????

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:19 pm

They do make inquiries to the department of social and family affairs to check if you're claiming benefits. Apparently this is done to check whether you can support yourself. If you read some of the debates in Parliament you will find the case of a woman who was refused because she was claiming benefits. But seeing that we're in Ireland, rules only apply to certain people at certain times and the fact that your application is based on decent is slightly different. I would recommend not claiming benefits, its such a small amount - you would earn much more even working in the local Spar!

And seeing that you have stamp 4 you can do any job without any further permits etc being required.

injasuti
Newly Registered

Refusal due to benefits claims

Post by injasuti » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 am

I submitted applications for citizenship in Aug 2005 after five years of continuous paid employment in Ireland. The news of a previous refusal due to benefits claims is a bit of a worry to me. While I have a high-paying job and have bought a house in Ireland my wife has been claiming child benefits for our two children since 2002. Has anyone been refused citizenship that can relate their story here?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't think child benefit is an issue, I think they rather check if you are claiming unemployment benefits and that you cant support yourself.

The vast majority of people will indirectly claim some sort of benefit i.e. child benefit, drugs payment scheme, etc and I don't believe these are an issue.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:24 am

strongly recommend seeking your application papers, their notes for decision and sources for their findings via the freedom of information act. last person is right, hild benefit is not the reason. see if mistakes were made and whether or not in the interest of fair and natural justice you were given a chane to explain yourself. unless you know what benefits you claimed.