ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IMMIGRATION CONSULTANTS - ONES TO AVOID

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NOMADNEAT
Newly Registered

IMMIGRATION CONSULTANTS - ONES TO AVOID

Post by NOMADNEAT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:33 pm

I've just come off the phone from "VisaPlus" (www.anewlifeabroad.co.uk) and am almost in tears. The receptionist was quite off with me and when I finally got put through to someone (Graham) he was unbelievably arrogant and unprofessional. I said I knew we couldn't get in without a job offer and he started saying how HE was the expert, HE'd been in the business for 15 yrs, other consultants aren't to be trusted and will charge additional fees, THEY are the only ones to guarantee 100% success rate... he also said I was silly to rely too much on the points test as apparently 40% of people with enough points are getting turned away due to the influx of Brits wanting to emigrate to Canada, and we were selfish to waste an opportunity that could be given to someone who could definitely get in, so we had better use him to confirm our success or it wouldn't be fair on those who are definitely eligible.

He was so arrogant and impolite, he kept cutting me up when I spoke, wouldn't let me get a word in and generally upset me and made me quite pessimistic about our chances (unless we go with "VisaPlus", of course!).

So I'd like to warn everyone and say think twice before using these people - the consultants we choose to go with will be friendly, customer-oriented and professional as I think it's very important that you get on with your agents as you will be speaking to them a lot and so must have a good rapport.

I would be very interested to hear of anyone else's experiences with these people to see if my conversation with them was an unlucky 'one-off', although I doubt it...

Willy
Newly Registered

IMMIGRATION CONSULTANTS

Post by Willy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:04 am

HI,

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with an immigration consultant. Although anyone can claim themselves as an immigration consultant, the Government of Canada only recognizes two groups of professionals to legally represent immigration applicants. They must either be a member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants or the Law Society in the jurisdiction in which they practice. Both societies have a very strict code of conduct to govern their members’ professional behavior. This not only protects the consumer/applicant, but also helps ensure competency.

Most importantly in the case of person you spoke to, NOBODY can guarantee 100% success. In fact, a member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultant is strictly not allowed to make such mis-leading statement.

It is also INCORRECT that 40% of British applicants are refused. The point system is specifically designed and used as the selection criteria in order to eliminate any discrimination, including race, country of origin, gender etc. facial discrimination is a violation of the Charter of Human Rights and the Human Rights Act in Canada, so you can be certain that the Canadian Government would not be discriminating against you because you are British.

I agree with you that you should find someone who is competent, professional, and with whom you are comfortable (especially considering the fact that you will have a lot of communication with this person, as well as sharing a lot of personal information). As a member of the profession myself, I find it appalling that there are people like the fellow you spoke to, and I do hope you find proper representation soon, either from my own company or from another competent professional.

Best regards, and good luck in your application.

Willy Cheng, CCIC
ChengCosgrove Immigration Services
220 Duncan Mill Rd.
Suite 605
Toronto, ON M3B 3J5
(416) 879-8236
willy@chengcosgrove.com
http://www.chengcosgrove.com

NOMADNEAT
Newly Registered

Post by NOMADNEAT » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:57 pm

Thank you for your reassuring comments, Willy :-) We're not looking to go until next year at some point, so I'm not really sure when we should hire someone (we don't know how long it'll take for my fiance to get a job offer).

spark64
Newly Registered

Post by spark64 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:47 pm

I think if you manage to get enough points, you can fill out the paperwork without any consultant help

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Here's a tip.
Most crappy business start with an A because when you look them up in the phone book, they are the first listing you see and subconsciously you choose them.

Of course a website is more trickier to get listed first on a search but if their business is listed the same in the phone book, then that is why they started their name with an A.