ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee without British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stoli

Referee without British Passport

Post by Stoli » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Wondering if a person who is a British Citizen but has not gotten to getting the passport yet can be my referee? - struggling ot find suitable british citizens who have known me for over 3 years AND belong to a professional body.. Uhhh
to clarify - she has NEVER had a british passport (naturalized citizen)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Referee without British Passport

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Yes, referee should be fine. Remember, it is not compulsory for British citizens to hold passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mianrm

Post by mianrm » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:34 pm

CR001 wrote:Yes, it is not compulsory for British citizens to hold passports.
Hi CR001

Yes that is right, just if you can let me know, if one get citizenship by Naturalization and do not hold passport , can he travel to Europe on other passport like Pakistani, but being dual citizen , without British passport.
Date of application Delivered (16/04/2015)
Date of Approval: 16/10/2015 dated:12/10
Date of Private Ceremony Booked: 20 / 10 / 2015

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:54 pm

mianrm wrote:
CR001 wrote:Yes, it is not compulsory for British citizens to hold passports.
Hi CR001

Yes that is right, just if you can let me know, if one get citizenship by Naturalization and do not hold passport , can he travel to Europe on other passport like Pakistani, but being dual citizen , without British passport.
No, to travel to Europe he will need a British Passport. If he wants to use a Pakistani passport, he will need to apply for a Schengen visa. A certificate of naturalisation is not a travel document. Also, how will he re-enter the UK? ILR BRPs are cancelled / become invalid after naturalisation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Stoli wrote:Wondering if a person who is a British Citizen but has not gotten to getting the passport yet can be my referee? - struggling ot find suitable british citizens who have known me for over 3 years AND belong to a professional body.. Uhhh
to clarify - she has NEVER had a british passport (naturalized citizen)
Be careful here, if HO plays hard ball this is what they require of a referee:
The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.

6.3.7.6 Referees should not:
be related to the applicant;
be related to the other referee;
be the applicant’s solicitor or agent representing him or her with the application;
be employed by the Home Office;
have been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the past 10 years for which the sentence is not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 6_v5_0.pdf

If they check your referee & object to him/her they will then write to you & ask for another referee.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

tripping

Post by tripping » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:46 pm

I think HO will most certainly object. The first thing they check on your referee is a British passport. Had a friend whos referee was rejected due to her British passport married name not matching with her maiden name given on the application form (friend wasnt aware she changed it for passport). He had to scramble to find an alternative, and that took another 3 additional weeks to get it approved. So no passport details given, straight out objection. My advice, dont take the risk by using this friend, get someone else that fits the criteria, end of. Or get your friend to get her British passport first (takes up to 4 weeks), wait for passport arrival, then you can use her as your referee, if you have no other choice. Good luck.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:07 pm

tripping wrote:I think HO will most certainly object. The first thing they check on your referee is a British passport. Had a friend whos referee was rejected due to her British passport married name not matching with her maiden name given on the application form (friend wasnt aware she changed it for passport). He had to scramble to find an alternative, and that took another 3 additional weeks to get it approved. So no passport details given, straight out objection.[/b] My advice, dont take the risk by using this friend, get someone else that fits the criteria, end of. Or get your friend to get her British passport first (takes up to 4 weeks), wait for passport arrival, then you can use her as your referee, if you have no other choice. Good luck.

Please don't give incorrect advice unless you have a valid source you are will to provide for the statement above in red.

Many people have used British Citizens from birth who have never held a passport as a referee. A referee is also not obliged to provide passport details either, they can write 'details provided on request' for example.

Writing a name down that is different to what your passport says is a silly mistake and for that, due to HMPO being so pedantic about maiden/married names matching etc, I can completely understand the referee rejection.
Char (CR001 not Casa)