ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form MN1 questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

herschey
Newly Registered

Form MN1 questions

Post by herschey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Hello all,

I am applying for two children - a 4 and a 1 year old. A few questions on form MN1:
- For Section 5 Referee: We have a nanny that takes care of our children at our home; is she able to be the professional referee? Note that she is not a British Citizen
- For the travel history, is there any guideline on how much travel is too much? My daughter was away 203 days over 5-years; 63 of that was due to a death in the family where she stayed abroad with my wife and her family
- Also on Travel, the application suggests that you have to list travel for the full 5 years of residence, but then the guidance notes makes mention of 3 years; anyone know which I should follow (3 or 5 years of travel history)?
- In the FAQ I saw mention that the applicant needs to be in the UK the day the Home Office receives the letter. My family are due to travel roughly 3-weeks after submitting the application (via NCS) - is that safe in terms of assuming the application will be received?
- For biometrics, how much time are you given from receipt of letter to doing the biometrics?

Thanks all

noajthan

Re: Form MN1 questions

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:04 pm

herschey wrote:Hello all,

I am applying for two children - a 4 and a 1 year old. A few questions on form MN1:
- For Section 5 Referee: We have a nanny that takes care of our children at our home; is she able to be the professional referee? Note that she is not a British Citizen

- For the travel history, is there any guideline on how much travel is too much? My daughter was away 203 days over 5-years; 63 of that was due to a death in the family where she stayed abroad with my wife and her family

- Also on Travel, the application suggests that you have to list travel for the full 5 years of residence, but then the guidance notes makes mention of 3 years; anyone know which I should follow (3 or 5 years of travel history)?

- In the FAQ I saw mention that the applicant needs to be in the UK the day the Home Office receives the letter. My family are due to travel roughly 3-weeks after submitting the application (via NCS) - is that safe in terms of assuming the application will be received?

- For biometrics, how much time are you given from receipt of letter to doing the biometrics?

Thanks all
1) Referee: Does nanny hold a professional qualification, eg nursing status or qualification?

See https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf

2) Travel: There is no prescribed residency or absences requirement for minors.

Travel - the question asks for 5 years of addresses in UK or addresses since entry (if less).
The same applies for travel history: 5 years history or for the period since entry (if less).

Remember this is a generic application form used for all minors.
HO will process your applications depending on the section of BNA under which you have applied & using the relevant information extracted from the form.

Note: The question about a 3-year period is referring to a parent (not the minor) & is only for applications made under section 3(2) or 3(5) of BNA.

3) About FAQ & 'applicant needs to be in UK'. Not sure what you mean by that.

4) Biometrics: the applicant (minor) will need to enrol biometrics.

When you actually receive the enrolment letter is indeterminate, it varies.

You have 15 working days from date of letter to enrol biometrics.
If you miss that timeslot, HO will second a second 'warning' letter with a second timeslot of only 10 working days from date of second letter.

If you fail to enrol biometrics in one of these windows it's game over, the application will fail.

If you are travelling someone should still monitor your mail in case HO has any follow up queries (as well as looking out for the biometrics letter).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

herschey
Newly Registered

Post by herschey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't even realize that annex existed with the professions that can referee. "Nanny" sadly is not on the list. I've asked my GP but annoyingly she is going to charge £20 for the 2 minutes it will take her to fill it out on top of us having to make a special appointment. The appointment doesn't surprise me and I've seen other posters mention fees, but frankly they get paid for their time out of my taxes so I think this is BS as we say back home.

As for my question on Section 2.3 Residence, here is the bit from the Guidance that mentions "3 years":
"2.3 Fill in this table showing the periods the child has been abroad during the 3 years residence in the UK or British overseas territory if appropriate ignoring the day they left and arrived back in the United Kingdom/territory. If there is not enough room for all the absences then continue on page 14. Add up the total and write it in the space indicated"
So the mention of 3-years residence is confusing since Section 2.2 asks for all the places they lived while residing in the UK up to the last 5 years (my daughter is nearly 5 so in her case I have put all that travel history). Just for completeness here is what the Guidance notes say about Section 2.2:
"2.2 Provide all the child’s home addresses in the UK or the British overseas territory for the last 5 years. If the child has lived in the UK for less than 5 years, please provide all addresses since entry."

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:28 am

herschey wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I didn't even realize that annex existed with the professions that can referee. "Nanny" sadly is not on the list. I've asked my GP but annoyingly she is going to charge £20 for the 2 minutes it will take her to fill it out on top of us having to make a special appointment. The appointment doesn't surprise me and I've seen other posters mention fees, but frankly they get paid for their time out of my taxes so I think this is BS as we say back home.

As for my question on Section 2.3 Residence, here is the bit from the Guidance that mentions "3 years":
"2.3 Fill in this table showing the periods the child has been abroad during the 3 years residence in the UK or British overseas territory if appropriate ignoring the day they left and arrived back in the United Kingdom/territory. If there is not enough room for all the absences then continue on page 14. Add up the total and write it in the space indicated"
So the mention of 3-years residence is confusing since Section 2.2 asks for all the places they lived while residing in the UK up to the last 5 years (my daughter is nearly 5 so in her case I have put all that travel history). Just for completeness here is what the Guidance notes say about Section 2.2:
"2.2 Provide all the child’s home addresses in the UK or the British overseas territory for the last 5 years. If the child has lived in the UK for less than 5 years, please provide all addresses since entry."
My understanding is Q2.3 relates to applications made under section 3(2) or 3(5) of BNA.
Note the guidance about 2.3 refers to page 8 of guide.

Are you applying under one of these scenarios: 3(2) or 3(5) ?

The address details seems simpler & clearer: 5 years if in UK for 5 years.
Just add for length of time lived in UK if less than 5 years (&/or younger than 5 years!).

herschey
Newly Registered

Post by herschey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:04 pm

My kids are applying under section 1(3): they were both born here while I was under a Tier 1 and now I have ILR status so they are eligible to become citizens.

From reading the guidance and application they don't seem to distinguish on who needs to complete Section 2, including the travel history. As you point out they also don't say anything about maximum times out of the country.

Regarding my earlier query about needing to be in the country - I saw in some other threads that if you apply for citizenship you need to be in the UK on the day the Home Office receives the application, else it voids the application. Ideally I will have the letter back from UK Visas & Immigration confirming receipt and so won't have to worry, but this is a rather extreme technicality to get nailed on.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 pm

herschey wrote:My kids are applying under section 1(3): they were both born here while I was under a Tier 1 and now I have ILR status so they are eligible to become citizens.

From reading the guidance and application they don't seem to distinguish on who needs to complete Section 2, including the travel history. As you point out they also don't say anything about maximum times out of the country.

Regarding my earlier query about needing to be in the country - I saw in some other threads that if you apply for citizenship you need to be in the UK on the day the Home Office receives the application, else it voids the application. Ideally I will have the letter back from UK Visas & Immigration confirming receipt and so won't have to worry, but this is a rather extreme technicality to get nailed on.
1(3) is an entitlement to citizenship (see page 3 of guidance) so you can relax.
Just provide your evidence & HO is compelled to register.

The requirement to have been physically present in UK on the day 'x' years before date of application applies to adults (only). I think that requirement is confusing you.

Minors can be registered as citizens even if they happen to live abroad (in some circumstances).

SYED.ZAIDI

Post by SYED.ZAIDI » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:52 pm

My daughter and son born in UK and still on tier2 dependant. i'm wondering Q 1.3 on MN1 application form ...Please say if and when the child was given indefinite leave
to enter/remain in the UK. shall i leave this Q? pls advise. thanks

herschey
Newly Registered

Post by herschey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:36 am

SYED, this won't apply so leave it blank. Same in my case. My kids are born in the UK, live in the UK and I now have ILR so it's only the date that I got ILR that will be filled in (later in the application).