ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa rejected because of Marriage Certificate

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elmoro
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa rejected because of Marriage Certificate

Post by elmoro » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am

Hey guys,

I've run into an issue regarding my Marriage Certificate.

I am currently in Dubai, where I have been working for the last 2 years.

I've recently been offered a job in Prague and will be moving there next month. My wife is a Pakistani national (non-EU citizen) but she should be allowed to apply for a "Spouse Visa" as the spouse of an EU citizen.

The only requirements for the Spouse Visa is a legalized Marriage Certificate along with passport copies.

This is where the issue is. Our marriage took place in Pakistan and is legalized in that country. It has also been legalized by the Pakistani embassy in the UAE and also the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

When I went to the Czech embassy in the UAE, I was told by staff they could not accept this marriage certificate as there was no British stamp.

For those who don't know, it is not required to get a British stamp on a Marriage Certificate abroad. Indeed, no British Public Authority can stamp a Marriage Abroad. As long as it is legalized in the country where the marriage took place, the British authorities will recognise this marriage.

Unfortunately, the Czech embassy does not recognise this Marriage Certificate, even though it is recognised in the UK.

I was told I could not apply for the Spouse Visa unless I had a British stamp on there (impossible to do, no such service).

Any suggestions on what I can do?

From my point of view, the Czech's should accept this Marriage Certificate as long as it is accepted by the British Authorities. I've contacted Solvit for help but not too sure if they might be able to help.

Aimar

Re: Spouse Visa rejected because of Marriage Certificate

Post by Aimar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:56 pm

The Czech embassy are well aware that the UK recognises any marriage entered into by a UK citizen abroad provided it is validly contracted and recognised under the laws of the country where the marriage takes place, the Czechs do this a lot, it is simply a means to frustrate you.

Go the UK Embassy in Dubai in person, explain your plight to them and ask them very nicely to write you a letter stating that your marriage is valid and requires no further certification from the UK authorities.

They may or may not charge you, good luck.