ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hich
Newly Registered

Naturalization

Post by hich » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi,
I will be applying for naturalization in February 2016 (1 year after I got my permanent residence). I wanted to ask about the number of days allowed to be out of the country in the last year. According to UKBA requirements the number of days allowed is 90 days and I wanted to know: 1) if you stay out of the country say 88 days or something very close to 90 days does that cause any problems/questions/delays in your application? 2) Is the number of days calculated the same way they are calculated when applying for the permanent residence (Number of days absent calculated in accordance with section 50 (10) (b) BNA 1981 i.e only complete days (midnight to midnight) absent from UK to be counted)? if so can someone confirm I am calculating this correctly for example for a travel from 7may15 to 27may15 does that count as 19 days?

I am running very close to the 90 day limit and I may need to travel again soon and I want to make sure I do not cause myself any troubles so if someone can help on this it would be very much appreciated.
Tks

noajthan

Re: Naturalization

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:50 pm

hich wrote:Hi,
I will be applying for naturalization in February 2016 (1 year after I got my permanent residence). I wanted to ask about the number of days allowed to be out of the country in the last year. According to UKBA requirements the number of days allowed is 90 days and I wanted to know: 1) if you stay out of the country say 88 days or something very close to 90 days does that cause any problems/questions/delays in your application? 2) Is the number of days calculated the same way they are calculated when applying for the permanent residence (Number of days absent calculated in accordance with section 50 (10) (b) BNA 1981 i.e only complete days (midnight to midnight) absent from UK to be counted)? if so can someone confirm I am calculating this correctly for example for a travel from 7may15 to 27may15 does that count as 19 days?

I am running very close to the 90 day limit and I may need to travel again soon and I want to make sure I do not cause myself any troubles so if someone can help on this it would be very much appreciated.
Tks
2) As per guide - see 2.2:
Insert the number of days you were away from the UK in the last column ignoring the day you left and the day you arrived back in the UK.
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf

I make 7 - 17 May 19 days too.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

hich
Newly Registered

Post by hich » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for confirming noajthan. Can anyone from the experienced moderators please let me know regarding the first question? or if anyone has applied and had similar circumstances if you can let me know if that caused any issues or if it was fine. Thanks

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi Hich,

You can be away for 90 days in a year (back calculated from the date your application is received by UK Visas). Total absences in 5 years immediately prior to your application date must not exceed 450 days. However, there will be some discretion due to personal circumstances if you give the justification.

You must also ensure that you are in UK physically on the day 5 years before the application. For example if your application is received by UK Visa on 4th March 2016, then you must be physically in UK on 4th March 2011.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

hich
Newly Registered

Post by hich » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:00 am

ok thanks Ramana. So am I right to understand that as long as I do not exceed the 90s days in last year and 450 in 5years then it is not an issue? In my case I will be out 88 days in my last year and total 345 days out in last 5 years, is that going to be an issue given I am close on the 90 day limit or do they view these limits black and white and if I am under then no issues raised?

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:31 am

I will try to dig out a link on case worker guidance (Annex B) where it says they will normally accept upto 100 days in a year (not just 90 days). With 88 days of absences you are absolutely fine. Also aware you need to count years backward from date of naturalisation application - not calendar years or years counting from your visa approval.