ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship ceremony abroad/ delayed till i get back uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hypnose101
Newly Registered

citizenship ceremony abroad/ delayed till i get back uk

Post by hypnose101 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:53 pm

hello everyone!

My parents received the letter from the HO that my citizenship application has been approved. The letter is dated 22nd of September.
if I understood what HO said about having ceremony done within 90 days of approval, My citizenship ceremony must be conducted before 21st of December. Unfortunately I'm currently on my year abroad(China) as it is part of my degree from my uni in the UK and I would only be back to the UK around second week of January 2016 the earliest time possible as that's when my winter holidays starts..

Just want to ask for everyone's opinion who's been to this situation before or anyone who knows any information about citizenship ceremony being done abroad or being delayed (just a bit over the 90 days given.)

Is it possible for me to delay it till January 2016? is HO strict about the 90 days given? im not sure if the local british embassy/consulate can do the ceremony for me as im still waiting for their reply...i would really want my parents to be there and see me during the ceremony and wouldn't mind traveling back home.. i'm just quite stuck with the 90 days given as it seems like i wouldnt make it due to classes..:cry: :cry:

any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

-hypnose

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Re: citizenship ceremony abroad/ delayed till i get back uk

Post by chocolateorange88 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:33 pm

NCS lay here told me it can and has been done before!
So id suggest you email HO from China

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Are you married to a British citizen? If so, you can undergo the naturalisation ceremony at the embassy in China.

Otherwise, remember that there are two deadlines that you need to be aware of.

You must book a citizenship ceremony within 21 days of the date of the approval letter. You must then attend the ceremony within 90 days.

It is worth emailing the Home Office for advice, but I would suggest making plans for a quick flight back to the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

hypnose101
Newly Registered

Post by hypnose101 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:42 am

chocolateorange88 wrote:NCS lay here told me it can and has been done before!
So id suggest you email HO from China

i'll email them i guess.. My parents tried to call my ncs/HO on my behalf and quickly ask about this but they were put on hold and the line was cut off after a minute or two so they tried calling several times and no luck talking to anyone from HO. :?

anyway, thanks for your response!! :)

hypnose101
Newly Registered

Post by hypnose101 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:00 am

secret.simon wrote:Are you married to a British citizen? If so, you can undergo the naturalisation ceremony at the embassy in China.

Otherwise, remember that there are two deadlines that you need to be aware of.

You must book a citizenship ceremony within 21 days of the date of the approval letter. You must then attend the ceremony within 90 days.

It is worth emailing the Home Office for advice, but I would suggest making plans for a quick flight back to the UK.

I came to UK with indefinite leave to enter visa to join my mum as I was still underage when I first arrived. I could've been naturalized without doing anything.. just live in the UK for 2 years and then I could've got it since i was considered underage/minor. However, I turned 18 y/o two months before I could apply for my citizenship. I was then told that because i'm already an adult, i have to wait and live in the UK for 5 years in total.

Nevertheless, i'm nearly there! just need to go and get this ceremony booked and done.

Thanks for your advice!