ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport about to expire and name change - Regards.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

elsa
Newly Registered

Passport about to expire and name change - Regards.

Post by elsa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi all,
Can some one help me. I am about to apply for Citizenship, I have my Maiden name in my passport ( as I got it before marriage) , in bank statements and other documents where they need my passport as ID for registration. But as a observation in my passport they have entered my hubs name.
I have my surname as my husband's name in letters from HM Revenue. Will it have any effect on my application I have other documents like provessional licence and utility bills as well with my hubs surname. I have registered with my hubs surname in the local Surgery, I am going to get reference from my GP only for professional reference, as I was a home maker after delivery till June2014. I reckon I need to declare in the application in the column known by other names. I think I need to provide my marriage certificate and also self explanation.

Also my Indian passport it's due to expire 25th October 2015. Can I apply before 25th as I have used my passport as ID for Life in UK test. Please advise ASAP.

Note: Received ILR in Sep. 2011, Hub received citizenship in March 2013, have passed Life in UK on 12th Sep 2015, registered for NARIC for degree compatibility in process after 2 weeks. Letter from university on the way from India.
Many thanks in advance,
Elsa.

noajthan

Re: Passport about to expire and name change - Regards.

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:33 pm

elsa wrote:Hi all,
Can some one help me. I am about to apply for Citizenship, I have my Maiden name in my passport ( as I got it before marriage) , in bank statements and other documents where they need my passport as ID for registration. But as a observation in my passport they have entered my hubs name.
I have my surname as my husband's name in letters from HM Revenue. Will it have any effect on my application I have other documents like provessional licence and utility bills as well with my hubs surname. I have registered with my hubs surname in the local Surgery, I am going to get reference from my GP only for professional reference, as I was a home maker after delivery till June2014. I reckon I need to declare in the application in the column known by other names. I think I need to provide my marriage certificate and also self explanation.

You may hit problems due to a recent HO policy change on names/identity.
See this forum sticky:
british-citizenship/british-passport-po ... 84012.html

And see examples of recent complications caused by maiden/married name mismatches, including some experiences from members who are Indian nationals:
british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... a#p1196883
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

elsa
Newly Registered

Post by elsa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply noajtha.
I am happy to apply both my citizenship and later british passport in my Maiden name but when they check my tax details it will be in my husband's surname. Will that be a problem at all.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:26 pm

elsa wrote:Thanks for the reply noajtha.
I am happy to apply both my citizenship and later british passport in my Maiden name but when they check my tax details it will be in my husband's surname. Will that be a problem at all.
elsa,
I don't think that will be a problem, being a taxpayer is not a condition for naturalisation (& at least you paid your taxes!)
- you can explain about that name detail (as used for for your tax record) in the 'additional information' section of the form.

If anything they may ask you to stick to using one surname in future.
The important thing is passport & naturalisation certificate line up.

elsa
Newly Registered

Post by elsa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply I feel more confident. I may sound silly can I still apply for Citizenship even though my passport(Indian) is due by 25th October. Keep the good work noajthan.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:42 pm

elsa wrote:Thanks a lot for the reply I feel more confident. I may sound silly can I still apply for Citizenship even though my passport(Indian) is due by 25th October. Keep the good work noajthan.
I don't think it's silly.
The AN guidance booklet doesn't explicitly say a valid passport is required (except for EEA nationals).
For proving identity various alternative ID documents are accepted anyway.

To prove residency over past years you should submit old passports even if expired.
So, unless anyone has more insight, you should be good to go.

Ref https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf

elsa
Newly Registered

Post by elsa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks a lot for your time. Elsa.